How is Teeth Prepared for Regular Veneers?

How's the teeth preparation for veneers associated with Tetracycline stained teeth? My teeth are currently in perfect alignment after wearing the braces for 16 months. I'm considering getting veneers for my moderately tetracycline stained teeth.

How much of the teeth reduction you think would be needed for regular veneers? I've visited some dentists and was told anywhere from 0.5 to 1 mm. Without seeing my teeth, what would you suggest?

Thanks,
Jen

How much tooth reduction is needed for veneers?

+1

If your braces have not come off yet, a highly-trained cosmetic dentist can work with your orthodontist to get your teeth in an end position where you will need little-to-no tooth preparation for veneers. If you have your braces off already, your amount of tooth preparation will depend on the position of your teeth as well as the darkness you're covering up (anywhere from no-prep to 0.5mm).

Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist

A little more than normal if the teeth are dark

+1

One of the benefits of veneers are their inherint translucency, showing the underlying tooth structure to make them look natural. In most cases, this is a good thing, but when the tooth structure underneath the veneer is dark, this translucency is not desired and a more opaque veneer is used. In order for this opacity to be effective, the veneer is usually a little thicker than normal. If normally 0.2 to 0.5 mm of tooth structure is removed for "regular" veneers, more is removed for the thicker veneer. If not, the veneers will feel bulky and result in a less esthetic appearance.

In this case, 1.0 to 1.5 mm tooth structure is removed and replaced with the veneer, resulting in a strong and beautiful smile when done in the right hands.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist