Im a Teenager, is Plastic Surgery Okay? Breasts/Areola Issue.

im almost 15 and i hate my boobs. i have areolas that are large but like the size of a half dollar coin.. When im older i want to get areola reduction.. or anything that will make them smaller.. If you know anything bout it please tell me the risks and if there is scaring and anything i need to know. thanksss! im going to be going on birth control bc i have really bad cramps.. would the hormones in it make my areolas larger? please let me know

Teen Breast Augmentation

+1

Hi,

Thank you for an important inquiry.

At about 15 years of age, I encourage you to have some patience to achieve full anatomical maturity before you think of a breast plastic surgery.

Best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Large areolas at 15

+1

Hi, it is way to soon to see how your breasts will eventually mature and take shape including the areolas. the best advise is to wait and give it a few more years before any surgery is done, since you are still changing and developing at this point.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Breast Surgery in Teenager

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

Given your age,  you likely have additional development changes which your breasts will undergo in the next few years. Subsequently it would be best to wait until then prior to considering any cosmetic procedures on your breasts.  At that point you may discuss your issues with your primary physician and he/she will be best able to refer you to a plastic surgeon for evaluation and management options. 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Teenager Considering Cosmetic Breast Surgery

+1

Dear xoxochick23,

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the appearance of your breasts. Although congenital breast deformities can be addressed as a teenager, I would recommend that you wait to consider any cosmetic breast treatments until you are at least 18 years or age (or older) so that your body is fully developed. You may also become more comfortable with your body as you get older.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Breasts

+1
Hello, Sorry but you would have to wait til your 18 to be able to have surgery. You are still developing,iwould check with your primary doctor to see what the side affects are.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Breast Surgery for a teenager not recommended

+1

Sorry for your displeasure regarding your breasts. Unless the surgery is to correct a congenital concern, you would be best off waiting for physical maturity of the breasts to limit the probability of revision surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Breast size

+1

Your question is a very good one! Although I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with  your breasts I think it is very important that you wait to have anything done about this.  As you mature your body may change and it is very important that you wait until your breasts have fully developed.  This will lessen the chance of needing additional surgery in the future.

John Hensel, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with Breasts at age 15

+1

Hi there-

I'm sorry you aren't comfortable and confident with your breast's appearance.

Please know that one day it will be possible for a surgeon Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery to help you achieve lovely breasts that you are very happy with.

It is also important for you to understand, however, that it would not be in your best interests to pursue this now. Even if you could find a surgeon willing to operate on such a young girl (most would want you to wait), doing so would increase the risks of the procedure, and increase the risk that over time, you need more operations to stay happy with your breasts.

You are much better off waiting until you are older and your development is complete.

I realize that being patient with a problem like this is very difficult, but know that it is what is in your best interests, and that very, very few women are born with perfectly even breasts that have close to an ideal shape. I would bet that quite a few of your friends also have imperfections such as these.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast Concerns at Age of 15?

+1

I am sorry to hear about how you feel about your breasts but you are wise to wait until you are older to have breast surgery performed. Although breast surgery can be performed for “congenital” breast  concerns, waiting until your breasts have fully developed will give you the best chances of not requiring further surgery once they have done so. You may find that your breast size will increase with the use of estrogen containing birth control pills;  the areola may also increase in size (probably slightly) corresponding to the increased overall breast size.

Any type of breast surgery will involve scarring as well as other potential risks/complications.

You may find the attached link ( discussing potential risks/complications) helpful.