Teenage Tummy Tuck

I am a healthy 19 year old female who went from weighing 290lbs to now weighing 175, which is a weight I am comfortable with, especially with my height. I have excess skin on my stomach, and pubic area that I would like to get rid of with a tummy tuck, but I also want to be pregnant in the future. Would a surgeon even consider a tummy tuck on a patient who wants to be pregnant in the future?

Tummy tuck on teenager

+2

Hi,

Great weight loss. 

Many plastic surgeons would suggest you wait until you have children but I would take a different approach.

You have done a tremendous job in losing the weight.  You are "stuck" in the weight range that you have achieved and maybe this is where you want to stay.

A body contouring procedure can allow you to become motivated in many ways in your young life.  Contour you now and you will see that the weight loss was the first step in getting back to health.  You will be physically and mentally helped with the body contouring procedure.

If you have a pregnancy later, good for you.  You will realize that it might alter some of the forms that your tummy tuck gave you but it will still be far better than before the tummy tuck.  Imagine too how much you have lengthened your life by what you have done.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Rare Exception

+2

Performing a TT on a massive weight loss patient is one of the exceptions I use when deciding on performing a TT on a woman who is not sterile.  You need to understand that when you become pregnant you will lose a lot of the correction from the original TT.  It is best to wait until you are finished with child bearing before undergoing a TT.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Teenage Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Did you have surgery or was this through diet and excercise?  If your weight is stable, you are an appropriate candidate for any body contouring procedure to remove the excess skin.  I have performed several circumferential procedures on women in their late teens and early twenties following massive weight loss such as what you have experienced.  Generally, I have found that despite the fluctuation in weight, the abdomen is largely spared. (Pregnancy seems to be rougher than 100 lb weight loss in young women).  I perform whatever procedure I am planning without fascial plication because as I said before, the abdominal walls of the young ladies that I have operated on did not have a diastasis, or spreading, of the rectus muscles.  The caveat to this whole procedure is that each patient knows that they will be back following COMPLETION of all planned pregnancies.  Good luck with your procedure and congrats again on the weight loss.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tommy Talk Candidate?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss;  it sounds like you are an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery regardless of age and/or planned future pregnancies. Unless you are planning on having a pregnancy in the near future I would not hesitate performing the tummy tuck surgery for you.

Teenage Tummy Tuck

+1

Considering your unique situation, as all patients should be evaluated as an individual with all their particular circumstances / history taken into consideration, you are certainly a candidate for an abdominoplasty, with the assumption that you are not planning on having children in the next few years.   You will be counseled by the appropriate surgeon that future pregnancies can certainly be carried out safely after a tummy tuck and that these possible future pregnancies can alter your results and you may require additional surgery in the future with regards to your abdomen which can be something as simple as a minor revision or a complete new tummy tuck.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Tummy Tuck - Teenage Tummy Tuck

+1

While I would normally prefer not to do this procedure on a teenager, having lost as much weight as you did puts you in a different category and I think it's entirely appropriate - and will be beneficial - to do so.  You will, of course, have scars - but those are unavoidable with a TT and particularly so when it is being after significant weight loss.  In this case, though, it's such a good trade (easy for me to say!) that I would recommend this procedure without hesitation (assuming you are otherwise in good health).  You may want to go for a few consultations so that you can get different opinions on how best to handle this (there are many choices in terms of types of incisions, placement of scars, etc) and it is in your best interest to read up about it before you go for your consultations.  That being said - I think you'll be very happy with your new contour once you've gone through the surgery and the recovery.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and Weight Loss

+1

With your history of weight loss, I am sure you have a large apron of excess skin which could be removed with tummy tuck surgery. If you would have surgery , you would need to limit your weight with pregnancy to minimize adverse effects of skin stretching  say 25-30 lbs. When and if it is worth it to you are questions for you to answer.

Richard Linderman, MD

Tummy Tuck is an excellent option to get rid of post weight loss skin

+1

Yes, you can have a tummy tuck to get rid of excess abdominal tissues now.  However you are likely to need another one after you go through pregnancies.  However it is ok now and ok then.  I don't think that any plastic surgeon will have reservations in offering you this surgery.  Good luck. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Teenage TT after MWL

+1

Outstanding job on the weight loss!  Conventional thinking always been that you should not have an abdominoplasty if you plan to get pregnant in the future.  This can be misleading as it implies something dire may happen to the baby.  This is not the case.  Your skin and muscles will stretch and the baby will be fine.  The concern is that you might need further skin excision after your pregnancy.  In your case this is more likely as your skin does not have the same elasticity as someone who has not lost such a large amount of weight.   You are young and it may be a decade or more before you have children.  You worked hard to lose that weight and are likely frustrated with the appearance of all that extra skin.  If you accept the liklihood of another surgery someday I would say go ahead and have the procedure done.  Enjoy your youth and celebrate your success! 

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Tummy tuck in teenagers after massive weight loss

+1

Congratulations.  You have lost more than 400,000 calories!

Since you have not mentioned your height, in order to have the best result with the least amount of complications, my recommendation is to have your Body Mass Index below 30.

If you are not planning to have children soon, a tummy tuck is definitely a good option for you.  As mentioned by others, pregnancy may reverse some of the improvements after your tummy tuck.

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon