13 Year Old Son - Misaligned Bite and Upper Jaw. Will Invisalign Work?

My 13 year old son has a mis alighned right side bite because his upper jaw has grown outwards more than the other side. This could have been because of an jaw knock injury in basketball. He is about to get braces for that side with replacable elastic bands to his lower right side, to try to make it come back in. Is this the best procedure? I heard about Invisilign and wondered if this would help him too and it would be easier practically for him.

Invisalign is great but not a 'fix-all'

+2

First of all, your son is just out of the 'mixed-dentition' stage (adult and baby teeth). He is probably still growing, and as a result, his jaws and shape of his head may change over the next few years. If his jaws don't line up properly, it is probably better to consider using traditional orthodontics, which can affect the bone more and reshape the jaws better than Invisalign could.

Invisalign is clear plastic trays that fit over the teeth. They can rotate and tilt and extrude or push teeth in, but the skeletal discrepancies you are mentioning are not something that can easily be fixed with trays.

Align does not like doing Invisalign on children under 14 years of age, as there are many conditions (jaw growing, wisdom teeth coming in, etc.) and situations (including compliance) that affect the results.

San Jose Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign may work but...

+1

Invisalign is great for adults because they may not want to look like they are going through traditional braces. Most kids have friends who are or have been treated with braces, (it may even be a status thing to have braces on). I would stick with Invisalign unless there is some very important reason he can't have traditional braces.

Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign teen can work but...

+1

I would stick with traditional ortho (brackets) for this case. Taking the teens case,age and asymetrical jaw growth I believe that a constant force is needed which is provided by the brackets and wires.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign for Misaligned Bite?

+1

You describe a situation with one side of the upper jaw asymmetical to the other side. This could be from an improperly healed fracture, unequal growth, or sleeping habits on one side. Your son should be evaluated by a competent orthodontist. Most likely traditional orthodontics as planned is appropriate rather that Invisalign. 

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign can handle some tough problems

+1

Invisalign can handle some tough problems, however buyer beware.  What you are describing could be a challenging case.  I can't diagnose over the internet, but just make sure youl have an orthodontist evlauate your son's teeth who has a great deal of experience in the real world.  I recommend you have a couple opinions with orthodontiskts who have completed their specialty training at least 10 year ago.

Denver Orthodontist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.