Teenage (16) Breast Reduction?

I've already spoke to my mother about getting a breast reduction and she's all for it. Do I have to talk to my pediatrician before talking to a surgeon or no?

Breast Reduction in Teenagers

+2

It is acceptable to perform Breast Reduction on a young woman your age. You do not need permission from your pediatrician. However, your mom will need to be present to consent to the procedure. I would advise scheduling a consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon who can go over all of the risks and benefits of having a breast reduction procedure so that you and your mom can make a good decision as to whether the procedure is right for you.

Best of luck to you!

Breast Reduction at 16

+1

It is not necessary to see your pediatrician before talking to a plastic surgeon but it may be a good idea to discuss your concerns with them after you talk to a plastic surgeon. Having this procedure at such a young age can be complicated in the long run if you have not finished developing.

Reduction Mammoplasty at 16

+1

It is not necessary to see your pediatrician before talking to a plastic surgeon. It is possible to have a breast reduction at 16, for some young women it is worth it to reduce the discomfort and embarrassment of large breasts. However if you haven't finished developing you may end up needing another reduction at some point. Also, you may lose the ability to breastfeed. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in breast reduction for an evaluation to discuss all the pros and cons, and be sure to have one of your parents with you

Web reference: http://www.breastreductionsanfrancisco.com/about.asp

Breast reduction at 16

+1

If you are fully developed and are no longer growing you may be a candidate for a breast reduction. You do not need a pediatricians ok.  But getting your parents' permission is necessary.

16 and Breast Reduction

+1

Breast reduction in a 16 year old can be indicated to relieve back, neck, and shoulder pain from macromastia.  The plastic surgeon in a consultation with your mother and you can evaluate goals and indications more completely.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.