Teenage (16) Breast Reduction?

I've already spoke to my mother about getting a breast reduction and she's all for it. Do I have to talk to my pediatrician before talking to a surgeon or no?

Breast Reduction in Teenagers

+2

It is acceptable to perform Breast Reduction on a young woman your age. You do not need permission from your pediatrician. However, your mom will need to be present to consent to the procedure. I would advise scheduling a consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon who can go over all of the risks and benefits of having a breast reduction procedure so that you and your mom can make a good decision as to whether the procedure is right for you.

Best of luck to you!

Teenage (16) breast reduction?

+1

Thank you for your question!  I hope that these answers help in making your decision.  You suffer from juvenile hypertrophy of the breasts, which is typically treated by breast reduction.  It is not uncommon to have the symptoms that you describe such as neck/back/shoulder pain as well as infections/rashes and shoulder grooving, especially in teenagers once her breasts begin to fully develop.  

Once one begins to have the symptoms that you state above, consideration for a surgical procedure to ameliorate your symptoms, assist with self esteem, and allow you to get back to physical activities in your youth should be done.  Given your symptoms,  you would be an ideal candidate.  You must first discuss with your parents and pediatrician, and then consulting with a plastic surgeon for evaluation and examination to assist you in deciding if this would be the right thing for you.  This is the first step and will be necessary to start the process.  Your surgeon will also go over what to expect as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure.  Overall, your symptoms should be ameliorated almost immediately and hopefully give you more self confidence and an increased activity level.  Your breasts may still continue to grow over the next several years, but it is certainly reasonable to consider this at this age with the issues that you are having.  I hope that this helps!  Good luck with your decision!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Reduction at 16

+1

It is not necessary to see your pediatrician before talking to a plastic surgeon but it may be a good idea to discuss your concerns with them after you talk to a plastic surgeon. Having this procedure at such a young age can be complicated in the long run if you have not finished developing.

Scott Loessin, MD

Reduction Mammoplasty at 16

+1

It is not necessary to see your pediatrician before talking to a plastic surgeon. It is possible to have a breast reduction at 16, for some young women it is worth it to reduce the discomfort and embarrassment of large breasts. However if you haven't finished developing you may end up needing another reduction at some point. Also, you may lose the ability to breastfeed. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in breast reduction for an evaluation to discuss all the pros and cons, and be sure to have one of your parents with you

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Breast reduction at 16

+1

If you are fully developed and are no longer growing you may be a candidate for a breast reduction. You do not need a pediatricians ok.  But getting your parents' permission is necessary.

16 and Breast Reduction

+1

Breast reduction in a 16 year old can be indicated to relieve back, neck, and shoulder pain from macromastia.  The plastic surgeon in a consultation with your mother and you can evaluate goals and indications more completely.