Asymmetrical Nose & Nostrils, Reason For Insurance To Pay?

Hi, I'm a 17 year old girl. I've always had a large hump on my nose. Looking straight on my nose is flattering but the profile is so unattractive. I always got made fun of and rhinoplasty is something I've always wanted to do. Being that I'm only 17 I don't have the money to pay for a full nose job. But my face is asymmetrical and one of my nostrils is visibly larger than the other and can breathe better. Would this be considered a reason for insurance to pay for most or any of the surgery?

+1

Internal issues affecting breathing are usually covered.  External issues and cosmetic issues will not be covered.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.
Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Septoplasty versus rhinoplasty

+1

A septoplasty and a rhinoplasty procedure are two completely separate operations. A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity when the deviation of the septum has  impaired airflow through the nose and this is performed for medical necessity. Cosmetic rhinoplasty  to change the shape of the nose must be paid for by the patient themselves. Both procedures can be performed at the same time under one anesthetic but the billing is completely separate. For more information see the link low

Nose

+1

Insurance generally will not cover cosmetic improvement of the nose.  It will sometimes cover internal nasal surgery to correct breathing disorders.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Asymmetrical nose, will insurance pay?

+1

For insurance to pay for a rhinoplasty,  there needs to be documentation that there is a functional problem (can't breathe thru nose, sinus problems) with the nose and the appearance is secondary to the functional problem (deviated septum and nose).  If there is a history of trauma to the nose this history could be helpful for insurance to cover the procedure. Otherwise, the rhinoplasty will be considered cosmetic and unlikely insurance will cover the cost.

Paul Blair, MD
Hurricane Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Asymmetry is considered a cosmetic problem unless it alters function or is so asymmetric that it is beyond the norm. Insurance will not touch your case. It's a good reason to start a savings plan.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Insurance and rhinoplasty

+1

Insurance will not cover a cosmetic rhinoplasty, and quite often they will not cover functional breathing problems as well.

Will your insurance pay to improve the appearance/ symmetry of the nose?

+1

The short answer is no. We see patients every week who struggle with serious self-esteem issues due to the size or shape of their nose. Unfortunately, your insurance company will consider this to be entirely cosmetic and, therefore, no a covered benefit. Typical reasons for insurance to cover a rhinoplasty procedure include nasal fractures and difficult nasal breathing. Even in those circumstances they only cover the portion of the procedure that is performed to improve your breathing or fix the broken nose. Any portion performed to refine the size or shape of the nose adds an out-of-pocket expense. I hope this information is helpful. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon