Teen Reduction Recommended?

I'm 16 years old and a C cup. I weigh 104lbs and I'm 4'10. I have a lot of upper and mid back pain,also shoulder pain. I also want to play sports freely without them getting in the way. I also feel very self conscious about them. I'm so small and they're so big, it's the only thing people look at.

Teen reduction recommended?

+1

Thank you for your question!  I hope that these answers help in making your decision.  You suffer from juvenile hypertrophy of the breasts, which is typically treated by breast reduction.  It is not uncommon to have the symptoms that you describe such as neck/back/shoulder pain as well as infections/rashes and shoulder grooving, especially in teenagers once her breasts begin to fully develop.  The decision will ultimately be yours and when to proceed.

Once one begins to have the symptoms that you state above, consideration for a surgical procedure to ameliorate your symptoms, assist with self esteem, and allow you to get back to physical activities in your youth should be done.  Given your symptoms,  you would be an ideal candidate.  You must first discuss with your parents and pediatrician, and then consulting with a plastic surgeon for evaluation and examination to assist you in deciding if this would be the right thing for you.  Your surgeon will also go over what to expect as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure.  Overall, your symptoms should be ameliorated almost immediately and hopefully give you more self confidence and an increased activity level.  Your breasts may still continue to grow over the next several years, but it is certainly reasonable to consider this at this age with the issues that you are having.  I hope that this helps!  Good luck with your decision!

Breast reduction for teenager

+1

Hi,

I have done many breasts reductions on teenagers and if you are more than 4 years past your period, then you certainly can consider a breast reduction.  It is very unlikely that you will ever need another one unless you gain a considerable weight or pregnancy etc.

Talk to your plastic surgeon and get your options.  A C cup is not a large cup size but considering your body size, they might be very large for you. 

Talk this over with your parents.  Get their opinion.  I would not hesitate to do your case if you presented with reasonable goals and had the support of your family.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction is best when breasts are no longer growing...

+1

Hi there-

In patients as young as yourself, the sometimes considerable distress that they experience both physically and socially due to the size of their breasts must be weighed against the fact that performing breast reduction surgery before the breasts have stopped growing may cause you to need a second operation when they do stop growing.

When breast reduction needs to be done a second time, the operation is a bit more complicated (due to the scarring from the first breast reduction) and has more risks, so most surgeons would tell you that breast reduction is an operation you only want to have to do once.

This does not mean that if your breasts are quite large and are causing you real problems you cannot proceed with breast reduction, just that you need to think about it very carefully and realize that the earlier you have your surgery, the greater the risks that you need to have it repeated later.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast reduction in teens...

+1

is a very complicated issue.  Besides being a minor needing your parental permission, it is difficult to look into the future to determine how important breast feeding is to you, how important it is to have nipple sensation,  and will the resultant scars be tolerable to you?  A C cup is not excessive unless your are wearing an ill fitted brassiere.  If life is miserable due to your breast size and you can deal with all of the future issues mentioned, reductions can improve the quality of your life.  Realize insurance coverage means minimum weight resections and if you are in the borderline range, trying to meet the minimums can sometimes translate to smaller breasts than desired, in addition to everything else already mentioned. 

Curtis Wong, MD

You may be a good candidate for breast reduction

+1

You will need to have parental consent and go to the doctor with one of your parents or legal guardian.

To know if you are a good candidate for breast reduction, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you qualify and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast reduction for a 16 year old.

+1

Without an exam it is diffiuclt to comment. What I would suggest is that if you are unhappy with the size of your breasts, you should go for a consultation to a plastic surgeon with your parents' permission and of course with one or both of them chaperoning.

Breasts Too Large for My Frame

+1

Breast that are too large for a person's frame can cause back and shoulder pain, neck pain, and feelings of self consciousness, regardless of the person's age.  Some conditions such as Juvenile Breast Hypertrophy can appear shortly after puberty, with the same results.  Breast reduction surgery can offer relief of symptoms and is a very popular procedure among those who choose to do it. There are many pros and cons such as significant scarring, and you would need to be evaluated by a plastic surgeon in the office to see if you may be a candidate for this type of procedure.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breasts Too Large for My Frame (16 Years Old)?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the “distress” relatively large breasts are causing you. It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress. Unfortunately, without direct examination or viewing pictures it is not possible to give you precise advice.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
 Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance.  

Again, you should also consider  carefully the pros and cons of the procedure as well as the potential need for further surgery if the breasts “regrow” in size.

At some point, you may want to consult with a well-experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.