Should Teens Get Breast Reductions?

i am 18 years of age and i have a lot of pain i cannot take it no more but i love them but it to much of a lil girl like me too have ddd 39

Breast reduction in younger age?

+1

Thank you for your question!  I hope that these answers help in making your decision.  You suffer from juvenile hypertrophy of the breasts, which is typically treated by breast reduction.  It is not uncommon to have the symptoms that you describe such as neck/back/shoulder pain as well as infections/rashes and shoulder grooving, especially in teenagers once her breasts begin to fully develop.  The decision will ultimately be yours.

Once one begins to have the symptoms that you state above, consideration for a surgical procedure to ameliorate your symptoms, assist with self esteem, and allow you to get back to physical activities in your youth should be done.  Given your symptoms,  you would be an ideal candidate.  You must first discuss with your parents and pediatrician, and then consulting with a plastic surgeon for evaluation and examination to assist you in deciding if this would be the right thing for you.  Your surgeon will also go over what to expect as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure.  Overall, your symptoms should be ameliorated almost immediately and hopefully give you more self confidence and an increased activity level.  Your breasts may still continue to grow over the next several years, but it is certainly reasonable to consider this at this age with the issues that you are having.  I hope that this helps!  Good luck with your decision!

Teens and breast reductions

+1

Breast reductions are appropriate at any age if the patient understands the operation and risks involved.  From a personal standpoint, I have noticed that if the teenager's mother has had a breast reduction, they will get the operation at an earlier age.  Abnormally large breasts have both physical and psychological ramifications.  Early bloomers will sometimes withdraw because of unwanted attention from both boys and girls.  Athletic females will find it harder to participate in activities that they love.  The drawbacks are the unpredictable results following further weight gain and or pregnancy.  Nonetheless, I have never had a patient who is sorry that they had a breast reduction at a young age.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for Teenager?

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As you are thinking about  breast reduction surgery make sure you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and complications associated with  the procedure.  Make sure you also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast Reductions relieve symptoms

+1

I think teenagers that are in their late teens and have fully developedbreasts can be excellent candidates for breast reduction surgery. The surgery comes with a very high satisfaction rate because it can relieve symptoms of back pain, neck pain, shoulder/bra strap grooving and intertrigo (rashes underneath the heavy breasts). The surgery will also give the appearance that the woman has lost weight and clothes will fit more proportionately. 

Gary Motykie, MD

Teenagers can be excellent candidates for breast reduction surgery...

+1

Teenagers can be excellent candidates for breast reduction surgery.  If your breasts have finished growing then you can have the surgery performed if you are a candidate.  If your breasts have not yet fully developed, I would wait until the growth is complete.  If you are suffering from any type of back or neck pain, this surgery can be of much help.  I would schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Shain A. Cuber, MD
Edison Plastic Surgeon

Breast reductions in teens

+1

It sounds as if you are an excellent candidate for a breast reduction. The problem will be convincing your insurance company. First discuss this with your primary care giver or pediatrician. He/She will have to review your medical history and will be the first step in determining whether the insurance will approve the procedure. In some instances they may require a course of physical therapy. They will be your best advocate in being approved for the procedure. BCBS uses a scale called the schnur scale 

to evaluate candidates for this procedure. Each insurance company uses different criteria and a predetermination of benefits letter with photographic documentation will likely be required to ascertain your level of coverage.

Breast Reduction for Teenagers

+1

I think that if they are extremely large then yes a Breast Reduction at a young age may be alright, but I usually recommend teens wait until they are a little older and have finished growing. 

Robert N. Young, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

It depends

+1

When a patient has a significant problem due to a large size of the breasts, surgery may be the only option. However breast pain its not treated with surgery. This is important for the patient at any age to understand. The best way to see if you are a good candidate for this surgery, is to obtain a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, he/she will be able to explain the procedure, what to expect from surgery, as well as the risks involved, Good Luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reductions and Teenagers

+1

Teenagers may benefit from a breast reduction with good symptom reduction (less back,neck pain,rash),ability to do more physical activities and improved self esteem.  However, every patient is different and this operation would certainly require a teenage patient with  an appropriate level of maturity who has a good understanding of the risks and benefits, scarring and long-term consequences involved with this surgery.  It  would also be a good idea to have support of a family member at this age to discuss the  surgery with.  

Stephen Delia, MD

Breast Reduction in Teenagers

+1

Should Teens Get Breast Reductions?

18 years of age is not too young to have a breast reduction if they are giving you physical and psychological issues.  Back pain, should grooving, neck pain and rashes under the breast are some problems that patients with heavy breasts have.  This is not age dependant and if you are suffering from such issues then you are a good candidate for this surgery.

The thing to keep in mind is that if and when you have kids, you will likely later need some kind of revision to address things then.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD