Teen Breast Reduction - Is Weight a Factor for Risk?

Hi, I am a 16 year old girl with size 34 G breasts. I am positive in my wish to get a breast reduction. Constant back pain can be helped by my chiropractor but does not fix my problem. My mother has only one concern : my weight. I am 5 5 and weigh around 165. She says a doctor is more likely to do the reduction if i am in better health. But also that my left breast is considerably larger than my right. So what i need to know it, does weight affect the risk of surgery? thank you for your time!

Teen Breast Reduction and Weight?

+1

It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

It will be in your best interests  to reach a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing the procedure. This will minimize the chances that your breasts will change after the procedure ( secondary to weight loss)  and necessitate further surgery.

Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.