Teen Breast Reduction and Implants, Should I Have this Done Now or Should I Wait?

I am 17, 5'5" with a size 32DD. I am extremely active playing 3 sports competively and find it extremely painful to do the activities I love, I go to the Chiropractor every week because it has become so bad. I want a breast reduction and implants, because its the same surgery other family member of mine have had but many say it is pointless, wouldn't it just be easier to get it done now rather than later? And will this affect my ability to breast feed when I have kids?

Breast Reduction by itself best for pain relief

+1

Breast Reduction is often done to relieve the pain and discomfort that you mentioned, however placing implants is adding weight to your breasts and will not be beneficial to your discomfort although it may improve your shape. I think you need to see a board certified plastic surgeon and be prepared to discuss in a direct manner exactly what you are trying to accomplish

Breast reduction alone

+1

With the symptoms you describe you are an excellent candidate for a breast reduction.  To add an implant is contradictory.  At such a young and active age the reduction is all you need at this time.  Your breasts are going to change over the coming years and you may want something done after having children.  Don't complicate matters with an implant now.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction and Breast Implants

+1

If you have DD size breasts and the wieght of the breasts are casuing pain and limiting yuo from participating in sports, you may be a good candidate for breast reduction.  However, I would counsel you against breast implants in your case.  Your breasts are already larger/heavier than you would like, placing implants will only add to the size and weight and will increase the risks of the surgery.   With regard to timing, you are a minor and need to discuss this procedure with your parents.   In most cases you would still be able to breast feed after a breast reduction.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction in a 17 year old

+1

If you are so uncomfortable with your large breasts that interfere and impede your activities and even necessitate chiropractic care, then a breast reduction is a very reasonable consideration. You would want a reduction in your breast size in order to remove the weight that your neck, back and shoulders are bearing. Breast implants, which increase volume, have no place whatsoever in your care.

You, along with a parent, should see one or more board certified plastic surgeons who could examine you and provide you with relevant and helpful information. This would also include the risks, complications and relevant issues associated with a breast reduction. 

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast reduction with implants?

+1

It sounds like you need a breast reduction which removes tissue from your breasts and makes then smaller not implants which increase volume. Breast reduction surgery for teenagers can be very helpful for them particularly for someone like you who is very active. But, depending on the technique used, you may or may not be able to breast feed afterwards and there will be scars on yours breasts which are permanent. I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area that can discuss with you the pros and cons of this surgery given your anatomy and concerns. Good luck.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Teen Breast Surgery?

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

At this point you should do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with breast reduction surgery, including  abnormal scarring. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

Timing of the breast reduction surgery is generally  based on  the patient's psychosocial place in life and is a very individual- specific decision.  She must be able to accept the scars (which result from the breast reduction surgery)  in exchange for the improvement in size/contour/position of  the breasts.  Some patients choose to have the breast reduction surgery earlier in life; some patients prefer to wait until they are in mature/stable relationships and/or have completed  having pregnancies.

In my opinion, you should delay any decision to proceed with breast implants for the future. This recommendation is made for many reasons including safety of the procedure ( increased risk when combined with breast lifting/reduction surgery).

Please make sure you seek consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast reduction with implants for teens, not so good

+1

Breast reduction with implants is in reality a breast lift with implants for most. As a teen you are probably best to consider breast reduction to control breast size, back and shoulder pain, and to help you participate fully in your several sports. Reducing breast tissue in teens, and replacing the tissue with a breast implant is a poor idea.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Timing for breast reduction in teen

+1

If you are suffering from very large breasts and truly want them reduced, you would probably benefit from breast reduction surgery.  This is one of the highest patient satisfaction surgeries and will certainly ease your symptoms if they are due to extremely large breasts.  I would not consider having implants at the same time however.  If you are planning on having children later, you might see whether after you are done childbearing and breast feeding if  further skin tightening or implants would be needed to restore the firmness and position of the breasts.  In regards to breast feeding, most will be able to breast feed after having a standard breast reduction surgery.  However, not all women can breast feed even if they have not had any surgery. 

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and implants

+1
You are talking mixed metaphors here. If your breasts are large and symptomatic, then you need a breast reduction--period. An augment is to increase the size of otherwise small breasts which is not your problem. If your breasts are symptomatic, there is no reason not to undergo surgery now but you may want to check with your insurance carrier as many now require a minimum age of 18. As for breast feeding, reduction should not affect the ability to do so but many patients choose not to because of the possibility of breast lift or other corrective surgery thereafter.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast reduction

+1
someone is getting carried away here. I can understand the reduction but why "implants" at this point in your life. look into "Scarless " reduction. liposuction only. may get you past this difficult time.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon