Technique for Juvederm Lip Injections?

In the past, when I had Zyplast, the doctor injected it in the "channel" of the lips, along the lipline. This time, the Juvederm was injected, it appears, in the lip area below and/or under the lip line, and I have a bump and a bruise at each site. The bruising does not bother me, although I had a the dental nerve block, and I got a black eye! What bothers me is the lumps. The result is not a smooth line like Zyplast. It has been a week and it looks uneven and duck bill-like. I had one syringe for upper and lower lips. Thank you.

Easy answer...

+1

Juvederm works well when injected into the correct area...and sometimes there are small lumps but they can easily be massaged out in a moment and in the rare instances when they persist even after appropriate massage, then an injection of dissolving substance - hyaluronidase - makes them disappear often within 24 hours...sorry about the bruising...sometime happens...if you take aspirin or any blood thinning vitamin or herb it's more likely...and make sure you see a well qualified injector...too many times we see people who seek out bargain basement prices...and they get unskilled injectors and bogus or counterfeit products...

Juvederm bumps, hyaluronidase

+1

Both zyplast and juvederm are injected with the same techniques in the lips.  Both the channel (vermillion border) and the body of the lip respond nicely.  I have found juvederm to be incredibly soft and pliable.  You may find time is helpful to soften this result.  It would also depend on what type of juvederm has been selected by your surgeon.

It sounds as though you might have swelling.  Be patient but consider hyaluronidase with your doctor if this problem persists.  I think you really could come to enjoy this product just as you have your zyplast.

I hope that is helpful.  Thanks for raising this question for our community.

Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Even at one week, Juvederm can be massaged so it is smoother.

+1

Hi. If your doctor has not suggested this, see someone else. Your story does not suggest good technique. You should not get a black eye from a dental block!

Injecting fillers is profitable and looks easy, but we are seeing more and more problems. Go to the Juvederm website or to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery for a name in your area.

The good news is that if you do have a permanent lump, it can be dissolved.

Juvederm Lip Lumps Versus Bruising

+1

Hi Mjrb, One syringe of Juviderm for the upper lip, and one more for the lower lip is, the paraphrase Elvis, "A whole lotta" Juvederm. Once your bruising has resolved, your injecting physician needs to evaluate whether the troublesome lumps are from the product or from residual hematoma. If due to the product, they can be dissolved with dilute hyaluronidase injections. There are many different methods of injection. It is best to discuss what has worked well for you in the past with your physician before your injections. I hope that you are able to enjoy your large lips soon. Be well. Dr. P

Juvederm lip injections

+1

Juvederm can be injected into the lip line or the body of the lip as in your case. At 1 week, most of the swelling should have resolved though I would reserve judgment for 1 more week. The lumps may be related to bruising or the material itself. If the material is clumping, it can be firmly massaged out (I would follow up with your doctor to do this for you). If you feel there is still too much volume, hyaluronidase can be injected to dissolve some of the material.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Different techniques for lip augmentation with Juvederm

+1

With collagen products like zyplast, there was a tendency for lumpiness in the lips so it was typically just injected into the edge. This is sometimes a nice look, but if overdone it contributes to the duckbill appearance. An advantage of HA fillers like Juvederm is that they are smoother and generally look better in the lip itself, though it requires a fair degree of finesse to get it just right. I can't comment on your case specifically but often times the bruising and the lumps are related so things should improve with time. You should of course follow up with your doctor if you have any concerns at all.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.