Which Technique is Best for a Tummy Tuck?

I have been reading about 3 different techniques for tummy tucks. Standard, Lockwood and Pasqal. Do all PS's know how to do these techniques? And what would PS. Recommend. I read with Lockwood you are less likely to have swelling and infection. Is this true? Thanks in advance for any DR that answers?

Which tummy tuck technique is best?

+4

All of the techniques that you mentioned are excellent if done with experience and skill. The technique should be taylored to the patient's needs and problems. Some will need mostly liposuction, others will need a large apron of skin and underlying fat removed, and still others need a combination. The Lockwood procedure removes more tissue from the sides of the abdomen and less from the central area, and in certain patients the result is very natural and effective, but it may leave a "pucker" at the end of the incision. Each procedure has its positives and negatives. 

Your best chance of an excellent result is to choose a plastic surgeon with experience that you trust and one in whom your welfare is his priority and go with his choice. Be sure to follow his/her post-operative instructions. This is key to a short and uneventful recovery. 

Savannah Plastic Surgeon

+3

It can be very easy to get caught up in the various techniques and technologies when thinking about plastic surgery.

I have been in practice long enough to have observed the following:

The skill and experience of the surgeon are VASTLY more important than whether he or she offers the very latest 'As Seen on Oprah' gimmick.

Use all the available tools to identify a surgeon in your area who is experienced, skilled and kind and trust him or her to take good care of you.

Good luck!

Eric Pugash, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck using Lockwood Technique

+2

I have been performing the Tummy Tuck procedure for over 25 years. Having tried many different techniques, I will say that the Lockwood Technique is my favorite.In my experience the Lockwood technique offers much better surgical results and less complications , such as wound separation and seroma.

I have written about the use of the Lockwood Technique extensively on my blog. Please see the link below to learn why I prefer the Lockwood Technique for the Tummy Tuck Procedure.

Dr. Ricardo Rodriguez

Baltimore, Maryland

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Which Tuck is Best?

+2

Dear Blonde in Bluffton.  Thank you for your question.  There are many techniques for tummy tucks and they all have their pros and cons. There are different types of liposuction techniques that can be combined with the tummy tucks.  Ideally, you would have a consultation with plastic surgeon who is board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and he or she would be able to look at your particular shape and discuss which techniques would be best.   Be sure to look at their before/after pics to decide if you like what you see.  I have a lot of info on my website that may further educate you as you research this.   Hope this helps. 

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Techniques

+1

We all get comfortable doing different techniques.  I am not aware of any differences in complication rates from one technique to another.  I would get a few consults and go to the PS you trust who gets the best results.

Dr. Kearney

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon