Best Technique for Burn Scar Removal?

I have some small, not so deep, burn scars. I'm considering either some sort of laser treatment or microneedling. Which would work better? I may do the needling combined with PRP or Acell or something.. I've heard that works quite well. Any suggestions?

Fractional co2 laser skin resurfacing for burn scars

+1

Many studies have shown the efficacy of fractional co2 in burn scar resurfacing.  I have found the results to be lifechanging for some. 

Deep FX for burn scar treatments

+1

Deep FX treatment is effective in improving both the appearance and functionality of burn scars. This laser treatment is used by the military hospitals to treat wounded warier scars. The laser procedure was also featured on the “Today Show” which detailed the treatment in triplets who were accidently burned in childhood.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fractional CO2 laser works well for burn scars

+1

In my experience, the best treatment for burn scars is the fracational CO2 laser.  This laser will soften scars and also tighten tissue as well as stimulate new collagen.  However, with darker skin types, it can lead to hyperpigmentation.  The tissue needling/dermaroller is a nice treatment for darker skin types with little or no risk for hyperpigmentation, but it does not heat the tissue like the fractional C02 does, so you won’t get the tightening you’d see with the laser.  There have been no clinical trials that show distinctive advantages in utilizing the dermaroller versus the fractional CO2 laser.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Small burn scars and how to treat them

+1

It really depends on how they look. In general, as the level of the scar is further away from the rest of the skin, you might want to consider removing it through excision. Textural changes also may need excision to remove the scar. For long scars a geometric line closure is highly effective. Here is a video on scar revision and treatment. We have more videos for you to learn more about scar revision in general.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of burn scars

+1

Without photos, sizes, locations, etc. any recommendations would be pure conjecture. You need to be seen by a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who could inpsect the area and then present you with your options.

Good luck.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD