Which Technique Retains Most Sensitivity - Lejour or Findlay?

Which vertical technique is believed to save more sensetivity Lejour or Fandlay ? If F-y is done withot skin shirred why more surgeons still choose L-r? What are the main differences between Lejour and Findlay except for the superior and medial pedicles? Look at the picture i want to get hard C or C-D in the end ,anything which allows me to wear dresses without a bra in the summer , which technique would you recommend ,Finlay looks safer as i read ,scars may be better(shorter) with L-r or F-y

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Great question and you are obviously well studied, the fact is no technique is necessarily better for retaining sensation, some women are going to have sensitivity loss in their breast unfortunatelu 

Breast Reduction Techniques

+1

Hello Inkanto,

No one technique has a particular edge over another when it comes to nipple sensitivity, except perhaps the central mound technique, performed with either a traditional anchor pattern, a modified anchor pattern, or a vertical scar pattern.

When it comes to short scar, vertical breast reductions, Lejour, Hall-Finlay, Hammond, and others all agree that larger, more sagging breasts present the greatest challenge to their respective techniques.  That is because all of these short scar/vertical scar techniques need to account for a substantial reduction of skin in the vertical direction which would normally have been addressed with the excision of skin leading to the inframammary scar.  In each of their techniques the excision of skin and the subsequent closure is performed to produce only a periareolar and vertical scar - 'against the will' of the breast skin, forcing it to close - causing unplanned deviations to the shape of the breast and quality of the scars in the final result.  All admit to these difficulties and less reproducible results with larger, sagging breasts.

Unfortunately, your breasts represent the size and shape that presents the most challenge to these short scar techniques.  Your desire for going without a bra tells me that you will need a smaller, tighter, and lighter breast than can be obtained with short scar.  Anchor reductions, or even 'short inframammary scar' anchor reductions, will give you the most reliable shape and size reduction possible.

You should consult with surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who specialize in breast surgery.  This will maximize the likelyhood of a satifying, long term result that you will be happy with.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Vertical Breast Reduction

+1

I am impressed that you know the name of the surgeons who have helped to define the technique of vertical reduction!  I think it is possible to get a nice result with vertical techniques but I do think that larger breasts sometimes are more difficult to reduce using vertical incisions alone.  I am not aware of any good studies showing differences in sensitivity between those specific techniques.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Hall-Finley, certainly!

+1

Dear lady, the essential difference between these two techniques is that with the Lejour, the nipple is detached quite thinly from its underlying bed, which severs most of the nerves to the nipple.

With the Hall-Finley technique, which we have adopted over 5 years ago, the nipple remains on a block of breast tissue which stays attached to the chest, and through a good number of nerves are running.

Most patients will preserve sensation after a Hall-Finley breast reduction, if properly performed.

Alexis Verpaele, MD
Belgium Plastic Surgeon

Preserve the nerve - what has better sensation?

+1

If there were one procedure that guaranteed nerve preservation and a vertical scar, all of us would be doing it.  I use the vertical technique of Dr. Hall-Findlay and have a sensation preservation rate of about 70 to 75%, depending on the size of the reduction.  The bigger the reduction the more likely to have some nipple sensory loss.  Yet I have also had small reductions with sensation loss and vice versa.  Sensation loss is one of the risks involved in doing a breast reduction.  Good Luck.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Best breast reduction for nipple sensation

+1

You ask specifically about the variations of vertical breast reduction, and both Lejor and Findlay may vary the base of the pedicle, superior to medial, both have a record of good to satisfactory nipple sensation. We view both techniques as essentially the same and most experienced surgeons will borrow ideas from both, and apply what will work best for the specific reduction at hand. Considering all breast reduction 'types' the inferior pedicle or "T' will preserve normal nipple sensation best of  all.

peterejohnsonmd

+1

Both techniques are vertical mastopexies.

Findley followed the Lejour  with a few minor changes .

With both techniques the outcome depends on the surgeon's ability and familiarity with the nuances of the procedure and the breast anatomy.

With both techniques the nipple sensation can be preserved or lost  and scars more or less attractive it is all depends on preservation of nerves and vascularity and refinement of one's technique.

Look for a very experienced surgeon.

Erel Laufer, MD

Vertical breast reduction

+1

While I like both techniques for different reasons, I prefer to do the Lejour inmost cases that I do  a vertical on.  I think that I have more control with the skin redraping and removal of tissue with the Lejour.  There are definitely nuances with both techniques but more of a discussion would really take having a consultation.  Good luck.

Vertical technique for breast reduction

+1

There are no guarentees that one technique (Lejour vs Findley or even traditional Wise-pattern inferior pedicle) will save more sensitivity versus another technique.  I believe the Findley technique has been more popular with surgeons who do vertical breast reductions because the learning curve is less steep for that technique and it is a more recent innovation.  With either technique, you may have bunching of the vertical component of the incision which tends to settle out over time although sometimes it requires small revisions.   

David S. Rosenberg, MD