What Shape Implant is Best to Correct Mild Constricted Breasts with Symmetry? (photo)

Hello! I have constricted breasts and luckily they are symmetrical. I just need to know if I have to have a teardrop shaped implant to correct this for a natural looking breast. I don't want saline so it is between already available silicone and the new Gummy bear implant awaiting approval. I really do not want that grapefruit look and I don't want to do anything with my nipples,surgically. The natural perfect breast is what I am after. What would you suggest?

Breast lift and augmentation

+2

You do have very tight lowr poles but you could benefit froma lift and an augmentation. I am not a fan of tear drop shaped implants and I usually use round implants..  Good luck.

Breast augmentation together with breast lift

+2

Your posted photos show a constricted or shortened lower half of the breasts-nipple to breast crease distance. This makes your nipples point downward in the first posted photo. I think you are mistaken to believe that this can be corrected by a tear drop implant which is basically bigger on the lower than the upper half even though it may sound like a good idea that would allow you to have less surgery on the breasts themselves. It is better to splay the lower half of the breast tissue using radial incisions, raise the nipple complexes/lower the breast creases as needed and then put your implants in during the same surgery. That will give you a more consistent result. Also if the implants are round any rotation of the implants within their pockets will not be deforming.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Natural appearance after breast augmentation for constricted bases

+2

Thank you for your question and including pictures. If "the natural perfect breast" is what you are after and what you expect from surgery, then you will likely be unhappy. Based on the photos you include, a smooth or textured round silicone implant in the subglandular plane with radial release of the inferior pole and and a circumareolar approach to adjust the nipples is what would be necessary to give the closest resemblence to a natural look.  I read that you don't want any surgery around the nipple. Without this part of the surgery, I don't think what you want is possible.  Please seek other opinions though. I hope this helps and best wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Constricted Breasts

+2

I have been very happy with the results we get in patients with your anatomy with a round smooth implant, either saline or silicone, the patient's choice, placed with a dual plane technique and a circumareolar or Benelli mastopexy. After about 2-3 months for the tissues to soften the patients get a very natural, nonsurgical look. You mention you don't want anything done to your nipples and I'm not sure what that means, but without relocating the nipple/areola complex through a lift, you will not get a good result.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Natural Breast Augmentation Results

+2

You will need mastopexy as well as augmentation to get the results you desire. No implant shape alone can take up the excess loose skin and lift the nipples. In a case like yours, I anticipate that vertical mastopexy and a sub pectoral oval silicone implant will give a nice result.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

What shaped implant

+2

I do not normally use shaped implants except in reconstructive cases post mastectomy. I think a bilateral mastopexy, with round implants will work well with some internal scoring to release some of the constricted breast tissue.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

The natural, perfect breast

+2
  • Natural breasts are rarely perfect nor are they always symmetric.  The breast after surgery is rarely perfect either.
  • Judging by your photos alone you appear to have a mild degree of breast ptosis perhaps to a greater degree than the constricted breast issue.  In either case, for adequate correction of this problem a procedure combining the placement of a breast implant together with a breast-lift procedure would be ideal.
  • The breast augmentation portion will provide shape, projection and upper breast fullness.  It will also address the constricted lower part of the breast.  It will not significantly change the position of the nipple, which is a bit low and which you "corrected" in the photos with your arms raised. Most women in my practice choose smooth, round silicone gel filled breast implants, which will give a very natural appearance. I do not believe an anatomical implant will give a more natural result.
  • The breastlift or mastopexy will help to address the constricted breast part of the problem as well as the drooping or downward pointing nipple. This does, however, require a scar around the areola and probably a vertical scar from the areola to the fold. If you are against this scar that is ok as long as you understand you will have less correction of the problem if you opt to have just the breast augmentation
  • Some women are ok with less correction and less scar.  Only you will be able to make that decision.  Do not, however, expect a greater degree of correction with less surgery.  The nipple will still point down after a breast augmentation alone.  You can always return to surgery to have the breastlift but you cannot decide down the road that you do not like the scar from the breastlift because that scar like every scar is permanent. Thank you for your question and for the pictures.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Constricted Breasts?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

I am not a fan of “teardrop shaped implants”;  I'm concerned that in the event of any rotation of the implant the breast shape will change necessitating further surgery. I generally recommend round implants for most patients.

Based on your pictures you do have some breast ptosis ( drooping)  and may benefit from some degree of breast lifting. This will involve incisions around the areola. Not having this done will likely leave you with an unsatisfactory cosmetic result.

If you are not at your long-term stable weight,  you may want to get their prior to surgery is possible.

Breast Implants

+1

Your overriding issue as you mentioned is the constricted component to your breasts.  It would be helpful to place a large index card under each breast to gauge your nipple location compared to the breast crease, and to determine what percentage of your breast tissue is below the breast crease.  If you visit various websites, you would not be able to tell the type of implant, gel or saline and high or medium profile, by looking at the patient (try ours for example).  So I would suggest clear communication with your surgeon above all else.  I would bring in photos of what your want versus what you don't want.  Show your surgeon what you mean by the words "grapefruit look" you want to avoid.  Strive to be clear about your desired goals.  All the best, "Dr. Joe" Gryskiewicz

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Implants will not give you the results that you expect

+1

Thank you for the pictures. Your have asymmetry, moderate ptosis and mild tubular breasts. I do not think you expectations can be achieved by the implants. You will need lift and volume.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon