Teardrop Implants vs. Round Implants?

hi there, im quite skinny and my boobs are small , i dont like the fake look of the round implants becoz i have pretty big ribcage, but all the DRs i 've been seeing dont wanna do the teardrop implants??? no DRs like doing it :( i'm wondering is it becoz they're scared of the implants flipping ? would round implants turn out to be really noticable ? i really want a natural look thanks:)

Teardrop/Anatomic Implants

Teardrop or anatomic implants are made to hold a their shape whereas smooth or textured round implants do not have a shape built into the implant.  In my opinion, round implants can assume a "teardrop" shape simply by letting gravity exert its effect on the implant.  Therefore, regardless of the orientation of the implant, smooth implants will naturally assume a teardrop shape with gravity.  The anatomic implants will hold their shape despite the effects of gravity. If they shift or move in the breast pocket, the breasts can look lopsided or misshaped.  I am not a proponent of teardrop or anatomic implants for these reasons in breast augmentation patients.

Natural shape wanted

You can certainly get a natural shape, without having to resort to the teardrop implants.  Here's how:

1)  Don't go crazy with the size.  Bigger implants tend to look more "fake".  Stay conservative & proportional to your body size.

2)  Put the implant behind the muscle.  Over-the-muscle implants tend to look more obvious, especially on slender women.  The muscle padding helps to give a more natural transition for chest to breast, and less of a "stuck-on" look.

3)  Avoid the high-profile shape of implant, which tends to give more roundness and fullness in the upper part of the breast.

Hope that helps...all the best

Round implant will look more natural on you

considering that you don't have much upper breast/chest wall fullness a round implant will look much more natural without giving you a fake look. on the other had a tear drop implant will make your breasts more full over the bottom and empty on the top.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Teardrop Implants vs. Round Implants?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. If I were seeing you in consultation I would probably recommend the use of smooth, round, silicone gel breast implants placed in the sub muscular ( "dual plane") position.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. You will find a separate page, on the same website, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for petite patients. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Round implants can achieve natural look

If you want more of a teardrop shape to your breast and have little of your own breast tissue, teardrop implants may be better. However, I have achieved great results with round as well and usually prefer it to teardrop. Ask your surgeon for their opinion

Teardrop Implants vs. Round Implants

Each surgeon has his or her preferences for breast implants based on experience and expertise. Tear drop implants do have a higher rate of reoperation due to their tendency for shifting and turning on their side. We generally recommend for patients to avoid. With proper technique and the proper profile selection, you can get beautiful and natural results with smooth round implants. Consult with 3 board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options, and choose the surgeon/surgical plan that best meets your needs and objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Natural Looking breast augmentation

You could have an excellent result with a very natural look. Look at many before and after images to determine if a plastic surgeon shares your aesthetic sensibilities. 

Shaped, form stable breast implants are different than the tear drop breast implants of the past. they are not for everyone, but for some women, they provide the ideal breast shape. Please view my realself videos on biodimensional planning, small breast implants, and natural looking breast augmentation. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Anatomic vs. Round implants

It really depends upon you shape if  you were to choose a round vs. an anatomic shape implant.  If you have a well formed breast just insufficient volume then you would do well with a round implant.   From the shape of your breast you will do fine with either implant.  Vectra 3 D imaging is a great educational too which helps patients visualize the difference between all of the implant choices  > 500 types and sizes.

Teardrop implants

Tear drop implants are textured for one thing and also have an up and down position.  They can shift and turn on their side which would then require repeat surgery.  I do not like them.

Breast Augmentation

There are a few choices in implants today.  Saline implants can be round or tear dropped in shape.  All of the silicone gel implants are round.  The FDA is looking into releasing new tear dropped silicone gel implants.  This may occur soon.  We don't know.  Most Plastic Surgeons prefer round implants.  Where you are sitting or standing most of the gel will be distributed in the lower half of the implant and this is like a tear dropped implant.  Choose a Plastic Surgeon that you are comfortable with and that you can discuss your concerns with.  You will develop a long term relationship with that surgeon.  Take you time and choose wisely. 

Jay H. Ross, MD, FACS
Palm Harbor Plastic Surgeon