Tear Troughs and Other Side Effects? (photo)

36 yo severe eye hollowness . The arcus marg. is quite marked: Y-shaped grooves under my eyes (blue and green lines): the skin below tends to loosen forward onto the nasolabial. Gives tired look.Many here suggest fillers, but considering implants: to add the support to the skin in the whole forward cheek area (lifting it) not only volume. I’m happy with cheekbones , so implants only for the tear trough area. But read contrasting opinions and I’d love to know more 4 my case in particular. Pros and cons?

Volume restoration with fillers will fill and lift

+2

The skin tends to be quite thin under the eyes, so an implant might be seen and felt. Fillers would be the simplest way to get the lift and fullness that you are looking for.

Blue show through under the eyes can't always be eliminated with filler, but a filler will lift the area and give the light something to bounce off of. Restylane is a good first use filler in the tear trough as it's firm enough to lift but still soft enough to be smooth and feel and look natural.

Just about any other filler can help with cheek pad projection to create some curve where it now appears fairly flat.

Los Angeles Dermatologist

Tear trough and fillers

+2

I think you may be better off with fillers rather than implants.  Fillers are usually more forgiving than implants in this area.

Tear Troughs

+2

Thanks for the question.  There are several ways this issue could be nicely addressed.  It all boils down to putting volume back into that anterior cheek and tear trough area.  This could be accomplished with cheek implants, a filler such as Radiesse, a volumizer such as Sculptra or fat transfer.  Naturally there are pros and cons to each approach and you really need to have a discussion with your doctor about which of these approaches is best going to suit your budget lifestyle et cetera.  Good luck in your decision making.

Peter J. Jenkin, MD, FAAD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Hollowness, Tear trough, fillers, Implants

+2

The tear troughs and grooves in your cheeks can be corrected with several fillers including fat, Juvederm, Radiesse, Perlane and Artefil.

Fat can result in long lasting results in 2/3 of patients but is more difficult to correct if irregular placement or resorption occur.

Radiesse and Juvederm are good options for the tear trough  as well as Perlane and Artefil which will last longer.  I am not aware that any filler is FDA approved for these areas.

Implants may work but need to be very carefully trimmed and placed to avoid their visibility beneath the thin skin of the tear trough.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS