Tear Pump Failure After Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty, What Should I do?

I have a problem with watering eyes following upper eyelid blepharoplasty ( now 6 months after ), especially when outside with breezes of wind. I am sure it's not connected to blocked tear ducts etc as it affects both eyes and started directly after the surgery. I have looked on the internet but all the cases I have found seem to be connected with lower lids ? When I mentioned the watering eyes to the surgeon he dismissed it as not being connected to the surgery ?

+1

There may be many causes for watery eyes. When it happens after surgery the things we look for is if the eyelids close properly, especially when sleeping. Any amount of lack of eye closure will affect the eye during day and night and when the brain perceives the eye to be excessively dry, it will over-react and form more tears than normal. An exam by an ophthalmologist could tell you if your corneas are too dry and if that is possibly the cause.

Tearing and Dry Eyes is not uncommon after surgery.

+1

Post surgical dry eye, foreign body sensation, and tearing is not uncommon. It can be related to weakening of the blink [makes tear pump less effective], incomplete eyelid closure, and the exacerbation of dry eye symptoms, with reflexive increase in tear production.

Please see an Oculoplastics surgeon or an Ophthalmologist.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tearing after blepharoplasty

+1

Dear Richard,

A photo would be useful.  It sounds like you might have dry eyes, which is worsened in windy condition.  This might be because you are not properly closing your eyes or blinking.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

It is reasonable to conclude that it might be related to surgery.

+1

That is not the same as it actually being caused by surgery.  Unless the surgeon is trained to examine the eye and tear system and has the specialized equipment for this, their opinion does not mean much.  I agree an oculoplastic consultation to assess the basis for the tearing would be appropriate.

Tearing after Blepharoplasty

+1

Tearing is a common problem after blepharoplasty surgery. In most cases of upper eyelid surgery it is due to the eyelids not closing completely which can cause or worsen a dry eye problem. Although this doesn't always make sense to patients, a dry eye can actually cause the eye to create excessive tear production. It is not common for upper eyelid surgery to cause to tear duct issues.

I recommend that you see an Ophthalmologist or an Oculoplastic Surgeon to evaluate and treat your problem.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon