Tear Drop or Round Implants for Someone Who Has Low Body Fat (15%) and Exercises 5x a Week? (photo)

I am getting a breast enlargement in a month and debating on round vs tear drop. Currently I workout 5x a week with heavy weights as I'm looking to compete in fitness competitions. I've heard tear drop can rotate easier for people who are very active. I'm looking for natural, going from a 30A wanting to do roughly 260cc (round) in my right breast and 230cc in left as they are not symmetrical. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Round or Anatomic for Fitness Competitor

+2

As a bodybuilder, I operate on bodybuilders and fitness competitors routinely.  Round implants placed in a submuscular plane are probably better for your goals and anatomy.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Style of implants

+2

There is the risk that shaped implants can rotate and it is possibly higher in active patients although I have not seen any studies to prove this so it is what I consider an anecdotal observation. I have placed several (many) hundred shaped implants in my career and saw this in only a few patients. Technique and allowing adequate time for the implants to develop an adherence to the tissue is critical here. You are a great candidate for the new 410 form stable implant which I would place in the sub-muscular plane as you are thin and may compete. The obvious over-exposed look of the implants placed above the pectoral muscle in body builders is not attractive in my view due to there being no breast tissue to hide the implant edges. There are also long term concerns with above muscle implants.The new form stable implants, like all implants, have trade offs but this should be considered a possibility as well as the cohesive round implant in the sub-muscular position. Cost and downtime and risk of rotation speak against this technique but there may be dividends in the improved shape and less issues with silicone migration, although, again the data is not there yet. Minimizing the risk of rotation requires more surgical precision and careful recovery so your surgeon may not be comfortable with this. Consideration of your expectations and goals are important here too. BTW, your right side looks larger to me in the picture. Did you get your sides mixed up? 

David R. Stephens, MD

Round vs. Shaped Breast Implants

+1

Shaped implants are available from Sientra and now Allergan, and Mentor will likely have them too at some point.  From your photos, your physique and breast size indicate that shaped implants could be considered.  Some of the information on these posts is less than accurate regarding shaped implants.  My suggestion is that if you are considering shaped implants you go to a board certified plastic surgeon who uses BOTH shaped and round implants so you are more likely to get an unbiased opinion.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

+1

Agrre with you as for volume size. but whether tear drop or high profile not the issue. If you truly exercise some much you must be informed of the displacement potential laterally of the implants by pectorals action. 

Shaped implants?

+1

I am not a big fan of the shaped implants because there is a risk that they can rotate.  I prefer round. 

Round Implants Below Muscle Will Give More Natural Result

+1

I think you will be happiest with round implants placed under your muscle.  This will both obviate the rotation problem and will also give your better upper pole fullness.

John Whitt, MD

Tear Drop or Round Implants for Someone Who Has Low Body Fat (15%) and Exercises 5x a Week

+1

For someone who exercises a lot ,I would recommend subfascial implants pref.

Smooth round silicone gel

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Round or Tear Dropped Breast Implants?

+1

Thank you for the question  And pictures.

In my practice, I would likely  recommend round silicone gel breast implants placed in the sub muscular (dual plane) position.  I would share your concerns about the use of “teardrop” shaped breast implants.

I would also encourage you to communicate your goals clearly; I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process. 

Tear Drop or Round Implants

+1

The teardrop implants tend to be narrower and taller, not at all a natural shape. Most surgeons prefer a round implant which gives a much more normal human appearance.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD