Tear-drop Implant Keeps Flipping Sideways?

After preventative mastecomies and DIEP reconstruction, one side failed and I now have an implant there. This tear-drop coehisve gel implant keeps flipping sideways so the fat part is on the inside and it looks funny and doesn't match the DIEP side at all. PS has put an implant under the DIEP side to try and match it and changed the implant twice with textured implants to stop flipping. It keeps doing it. I wear the strap for 2 months after each surgery. What can be done? I want matching breasts

Problems with implant flipping in position

+2

The tear dropped shaped implants are textured and usually the texturing keeps the implant in place.  If the pocket for the implant is too wide and you have not developed a cohesion between the implant and the capsule then the implant position can change.  May consider either using round implants or a procedure to narrow the implant pocket.  

Teardrop implant rotating within the breast

+1

This is certainly one of the problems with the anatomical teardrop shaped implant.  Your surgeon may be able to revise the pocket with an acelullar dermal matrix so that the pocket perfectly matches the implant.  You could swithc to a round implant, but the upper pole of the breast may appear more hollow.

Flipping Tear Drop Implants

+1

If the flipping has continued, switch to a round is not an unreasonable compromise to prevent continued surgery.

Tear-drop Implant Keeps Flipping after Breast Reconstruction

+1

I agree. You have really tried, with two attempts with a tear-drop shape. You can try again, closing off the pocket, but the tear-drop implant likes a fresh tissue interface to integrate with its textured surface and make it stick in place.

At this point, it might be best to go to round implants, match the sides for volume, adjust the skin on the DIEP side if indicated,  and try to get symmetry that way.

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

+1

After all the revisions, I would recommend switching out to a round gel implants. Sorry for your problems.  Best wishes. 

+1

Tear drop implants do have a tendency to flip or rotate

The pocket around the implant can be made smaller and re-inforced with mesh or the implant can be replaced with a smooth round silicone gel implant

Web reference: http://www.beckermd.com/breast/reconstruction-boca-raton-fl/

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Tear drop implants

+1

Hi, the pocket needs to be made smaller or switch the implant to a round one.

Shaped implants can flip.  

Flipping implants

+1

This is the main reason why I do not like tear drop shaped implants. I can not control the flipping and it can happen although not common. The only way to treat it, is by surgically removing it and exchanging it for a different shaped implant ( preferably round)