Should I Use a Teaching Hospital for a Breast Lift?

I am a mother of five babes. After breast feeding them all and weight loss and weight gain my breast are extremely saggy. The worst thing about my breast is how it makes me feel. I always keep my bra on during sex. Also, it changes my mood instantly. I could be cooking and it pops into my head. I tried accepting it but I can't I don't see how I can go on being happy this way, it hurts.

Teaching hospitals for breast lifts?

+2

Hopefully your children will all appreciate the sacrifices you gave up for them to be the healthiest they can be.  A lift can be a huge boost in your self-confidence.  If the teaching hospitals are closely supervised, you can save oodles and have a good result.  But when I think back to my residency days, my experience and judgment now is so much better as are my results.  Good luck with your decision.

Breast lift after pregnancy, breast feeding and weight loss

+2

Congratulations on 5 successful pregnancies, breast feeding successfully, and losing weight. These are all great accomplishments that few women have achieved. Your breasts should be a reminder to you of all you've accomplished - not anything to be ashamed of. Also remember that before your pregnancies everyone probably loved you for you, not for your breasts. That hasn't changed. 

If you do choose to undergo breast lift surgery, teaching hospitals versus private hospitals have an equal chance of giving you an excellent result. The advantages and disadvantages of either are negligible in the long run in most usual cases. 

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Hospital Choice

+2

The key issue is surgeon experience and proven results.  Whether a surgeon is in a teaching hospital or not really shouldn't matter.  Every surgeon you meet will have been trained at a teaching hospital at some point, so I wouldn't be prejudicial of a teaching hospital-based surgeon.  Many surgeons work in both private and teaching hospital settings as well.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Cosmetic surgery at a teaching hospital

+2
Unfortunately, your post doesn't explain whether you plan to be a private patient of a plastic surgeon at a teaching hospital or a clinic patient. Some training programs offer reduced cost cosmetic procedures performed by the residents under the supervision of the faculty. I recommend that you price check in comparison with plastic surgeons in private practice because the hospitals have substantially increased fees in the past few years. If you are a private patient, it is true that we are expected to train the next generation and that residents may participate in the surgery. To avoid this, you may request that your surgeon operate in a non-teaching facility, an ambulatory surgery center or his own accredited OR. I personally perform all my cosmetic cases myself because the patients are paying for and expecting my services and not those of an unknown third person. Hope this is helpful.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+2

We all trained at teaching hospitals, and most of us feel that we were trained by excellent surgeons. If your concern is that a trainee will be involved in the surgery, that is something to discuss with your attending surgeon. If you want to be certain that no trainees are involved, find a surgeon at a non-teaching hospital. 

Whatever you choose, it sounds like you will benefit from a consultation to discuss your goals, and how best to achieve them. Thank you for your question, best wishes. 

Teaching hospital for breast lift

+2

There are advantages to going to a university medical center for surgery, since the surgeons and anesthesia are often of high caliber.  The key factor is the skill and experience of your surgeon.  He or she should have a practice that has a significant focus on breast surgery.  If your concern is the possibility of of residents participating in your surgery, this should be discussed with your surgeon.  It sounds like a breast lift could be very beneficial.  Best of luck

John Q. Cook, MD

Breast Lift at a Teaching Hospital

+1

Breast lift at a teaching hospital done in a chief resident's cosmetic clinic may produce a very nice result for half the price. 

Teaching hospital and breast lift

+1

It is really a personal choice as to who you want to do your surgery. At a teaching hospital a resident in training under the supervision of an attending will perform your surgery.

Surgery and Teaching Hospitals

+1

Hi there. Teaching Hospitals are typically among the top hospitals and usually have great patient outcomes. While you are selecting a Plastic Surgeon for your procedure, ask where the surgery will be and the level of involvement that residents will have in your care. This will allow you to make an informed decision about who will be participating in your surgery. Also, make sure you select a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Good Luck!

Morgan E. Norris, MD, FACS

Teaching Hospital for Breast Lifting Surgery?

+1

Based on your description, the aesthetic appearance of your breasts is of great importance to you. I would therefore encourage you to find the best plastic surgeon in your area, when it comes to demonstrable aesthetically pleasant results after breast lifting surgery.   If the plastic surgeon you find works in the private arena you should go with him/her; on the other hand, if he/she works in the university setting then go with that plastic surgeon. In other words, selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make, no matter where he/she practices. Again, it will be important to evaluate the quality of work in your decision-making process.

Costs of surgery should not be the primary focus in the decision-making process; keep in mind, that ultimately the results of surgery will be of paramount importance and that revisionary surgery may cost more ( in many ways).