Is 25% TCA Peel a Light or Medium Peel?

How often do I need to have them done for maintenance? I'm 42 yrs young. I also did Botox for my lines (crows feet) and that line you get between your brows. Thanks!

25% TCA peel

+2

The depth of a chemical peel depends on several factors including the tendency of the skin to absorb the chemical, the duration of application and of course the concentration of the peel solution. Although a 25% TCA peel is frequently regarded as a light chemical peel, I consider the effects to be like that of a medium depth peel, requiring 5-7 days to heal, with darkening of the face for 2-3 days and peeling of the skin from days 3-6.

After a 25% TCA peel, the maintenance interval is variable, but you may not need to undergo another peeling procedure for 6-12 months.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

TCA 25% is a light peel, but expect significant crusting and peeling

+2

Thanks for your question.

TCA 25% alone is considered a superficial peel. Even at that, you should expect to have significant crusting, peeling, and scaling for 4-7 days.

If there is an additional process done before the peel, such as Jessner's or a glycolic acid peel, then that TCA 25% would be considered a medium depth peel with even deeper peeling, crusting, and scaling.

Continue to use Botox for those "11-lines" - that's an excellent starting choice!

Hope this helps!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Medium

+1

There are several ways to vary the depth of a peel, but in general, 25% TCA is an excellent medium peel that will improve irregular pigmentation and improve the texture of your skin. You will not see wrinkles improve, nor sagging, but fine lines will look better 1-3 months later. Be sure to combine with a good skin care protocol from your dermatologist.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist