TCA Peel for Hyperpigmentation Left After Fraxel Laser?

I've had 3 Fraxel TXs for acne scars and am fairly satisfied with the results.

Now I still have some scars left plus brown spot pigmentation on my face in different areas (I'm told birth control can cause this-which I take). I don't sunbathe. Would the TCA peel be beneficial for me?

I've heard of "Silk Peels" also, but not sure which way to go. I think a reduction of the pigment would really improve the appearance of my skin overall. I'm 43 yrs. old and do not break out anymore. Thanks for your help.

Light TCA Peel or Jessner's Peel may help hyperpigmentation

+1

The post inflamatory hyperpigmentation is all the is preventing you from looking your best. Get a light TCA peel such as 10-15% TCA or a Jessner's 14% Peel and also use a combination hydroquinone/retin A/ cortisone cream and sunscreen as well. That should do the trick. Sometimes it takes a few light peels but they sure help. The light peels run $250-350 each roughly and are so worth it.

Good Luck!

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Try topical agents first

+1

A TCA peel may be too aggressive to correct your degree of hyperpigmentation. This hyperpigmentation is due to inflammation. You should consider products that have hydroquinone and Kojic acid. This skin lightening type gel or cream is applied at night followed by sunscreen protection during the day. It will take 8 - 10 weeks to see a beneficial effect. If pigment persists then you may consider a TCA peel.

TCA peel for hyperpigmentation

+1

The pigmentation you have could be "postinflammatory hyperpigmentation" as a result of your Fraxel treatments, or melasma (hormone-related pigmentation). Either way, a seris of light chemical peels, for example glycolic, Jessner, TCA 10%. Other things that can help: products containing hydroquinone, tretinoin cream.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist