Can TCA Peel Help with Keloid Scars?

Can TCA peel help smooth my keloid scar out and remove the discoloration? I has a belly peircing and it got infected. It left a keloid scar with a slight discoloration. It doesn't have to be completely removed; I just wanted it flatter and smoother without any discoloration.

TCA is not a Great Idea

+1

If the scar is truly a keloid, the algorithm of treatment is first to inject it with steroid (kenalog), followed by excision.  TCA might aggravate the scar and make it worse.  Keloids are histologically different from normal scars and can increase in size if irritated.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Keloid scars are better treated with Cortisone injections than Chemical peels

+1

Keloid scars are better treated with kenalog injections every 2 weeks until flat and lighter in color. TCA peels won't flatten a keloid scar but will help with the discoloration but the cortisone shots do both so don't bother with the peels. Get the injections at $100 per session for 3-5 sessions on the average.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon