Should I Use TCA After Scar Revision?

I had a depressed chicken pox scar and it have gone through Scar Revision on January. However the revision failed and the scar opened up and now it's still depressed and wider. on February I had dermabrasion on the spot which made it even more wider but filled up the indent little bit. All these choises have been made by my dermatologist. He now says that he will use a filler on this soon. So: After he uses the filler, can i use TCA Peel on it ? the outer skin looks gross from stitches

There are many ways to revise chicken pox scars.

+2

Of all the ways to revise chicken pox scars, sometimes you have to try a few to get the best results.  Some scars are cut out or stitched together in some form of fancy flap, some scars are undermined by subcisions and fillers or a gortex sheet implant placed under it to permanently raise it up.  All ways need at least 1-2 dermabrasions to finally blend it but TCA isn't very effective for these scars.

Web reference: http://www.TheBestLipoDoc.com/drdavidhansen/landing/

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Chicken pox scar problems

+1
These are often challenging to treat.  I don't think that TCA is the "right tool for the job" here.  It won't really help either the color or the depression.
You may need a surgical scar revision to improve the width, or laser treatments to tone down the redness.

See a local plastic surgeon to discuss your best options.

Web reference: http://day-spa-orlando.com/

Laser Scar Revision may be your best option for a Chicken Pox scar

+1

The treatment of chicken pox scars can be challenging. Although a TCA peel may improve the texture and tone of your skin overall, it may not prove to be an effective treatment for your existing chicken pox scar.  In addition, I have found that in some cases- injectable fillers may make the scar MORE pronounced rather than filling it in.  I tend to only use an injectable fillers for scar revision if the patient has declined all other options for treatment...including the option to "do nothing". 

If you have not experienced success from a surgical scar removal procedure, laser scar removal may be a good alternative for you. 

A newer device on the market by Palomar called the Artisan offers a noninvasive solution that uses fractional laser technology to deliver rapid, reliable scar removal with less risk, less pain and minimal downtime.

The Artisan's fractional laser technology is used for acne and surgical scar removal procedure. It uses pulses of laser light to coagulate scar tissue and trigger healthy new tissue to form in patients' skin. Healing time is minimal, infection risk is eliminated and little to no pain is felt.

Laser scar removal with Palomar's Artisan is appropriate for use on all skin types, making it my preferred method of scar removal for excellent clinical outcomes.

This is how it works:

• Laser scar removal uses fractional laser light to create micro-columns of coagulated tissue that extend deep into the dermis without ablating the epidermis.
  • This triggers a wound-healing process that replaces the disorganized, compacted scar tissue with healthy new tissue, greatly diminishing the appearance of the scar tissue. Advanced Contact Cooling protects the epidermis, promoting safer, more comfortable treatments.

I would certainly have you consider laser scar removal/revision before making your final decision.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon