Tazorac a Bad Retinoid Because It Has Mineral Oil?

I recently read on the internet that mineral oil can cause premature aging of the skin. Tazorac cream has mineral oil as one of its ingredients and it is supposed to be a wrinkle fighting retinoid! Please explain and help.

Alternative Retionids to Tazorac

+1

I’ve never read any reports of the mineral oil in Tazorac causing premature aging, as Tazorac is a retinoid which has been proven to improve the overall appearance of the skin, increase skin cell turn over and stimulate new collagen.  If you are considering using another vehicle in the retinoid family category here are a few I’d recommend:  Renova, Rafissa, Retin A Micro and Tretinoin, generic brand. 

Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Tazorac is an excellent treatment and prevention for photoaging

+1

I would not worry about the mineral oil.  The mineral oil is probably used as a base for the vehicle and is simply a stabilizer.  I am not sure about the credence to the mineral oil and photoaging concern, but given the minimal amount of mineral oil in Tazorac and that studies using Tazorac formulated with mineral oil have undeniably demonstrated improvements in photoaging is enough for me to confidently recommend Tazorac as a reliable treatment and prevention for photoaging.

Daniel I. Wasserman, MD
Naples Dermatologic Surgeon