Will Laxatives Interfere with Anesthesia?

I'm getting a breast lift and augmentation of November 20 and so I'm cutting out all medications. However, I wanted to know if its okay to use mild laxatives in the week before surgery? Are there any types I should avoid? I personally think it is an underactive thyroid issue that is making it difficult to have bowel movements and I'm schedule to see an endocrinologist, but not till after the surgery (they were booked up).

Laxatives, Thyroid and Anesthesia

+2

Any kind of medication has the potential to interact with anesthetics.

You should tell your doctor about each and every medication, supplement and vitamin, whether prescribed or over - the - counter.  Your doctor can tell you which ones are OK to continue and which regimens may need to be modified around the time of surgery.

If you are having thyroid problems, they must be resolved before anesthesia to avoid potentially significant problems and risks.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Laxatives prior to breast augmentation

+1

Certain laxatives can cause electrolyte abnormalities and/or dehydration, which can produce problems with anesthetics. 

Medications and anesthesia

+1

I would try to visit the endocrinologist before surgery.  Thyroid issues can create anesthesia issues.  It may be difficult for your schedule, but your general health should be optimized prior to surgery to aid in your recovery.  The fewer the medications you take, the better.  Your laxative will unlikely cause a problem, but they can create dehydration.  And you will have nothing to eat or drink the night before surgery.  This will leave you potentially volume depleted the morning of surgery. 

Jason R. Hess, MD

Ok to take Laxatives before surgery?

+1

I would say Yes it is ok to use laxatives the week before surgery but you DON'T want to get dehydrated from the overuse of laxatives so be careful with that. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Laxatives Interfere with Anesthesia

+1

There is really no contraindication for MILD laxative use prior to any operation. But if you are a laxative daily abuser than your blood studies can and will be effected causing a lower K level. Thus delaying or canceling surgery. Discuss with the chosen surgeon. 

+1

Regarding :"Will Laxatives Interfere with Anesthesia?

I'm getting a breast lift and augmentation of November 20 and so I'm cutting out all medications. However, I wanted to know if its okay to use mild laxatives in the week before surgery? Are there any types I should avoid? I personally think it is an underactive thyroid issue that is making it difficult to have bowel movements and I'm schedule to see an endocrinologist, but not till after the surgery (they were booked up"

I would NOT stop ANY medication without consulting with your Plastic surgeon. Personally, if you have mild constipation, I would have no major issues with your continuing your regimen of MILD laxatives as long as their use does not affect your body salt balance and electrolytes (especially Potassium)..

Dr. Peter Aldea