Can You Get a Tattoo Done over Top of Skin Where a Tattoo Was Laser Removed?

I have a tattoo on the back of my neck that i got done when I was 16 and the artist did not do a good job on it at all. I really love what the tattoo is, just wish the job was done better. So can I get the old tattoo removed with laser and then get the same tattoo done properly over the same spot?

Tattooing an area that had laser tattoo removal is OK

+1

Once you have a tattoo removed with laser, it is OK to have a new tattoo placed. I would wait at least one month after the last laser treatment before having a new tattoo, to minimize immune cells populating the area which might make your new tattoo not as durable.

Absolutely, though give it time...

+1

What laser tattoo removal entails is the breakdown of the tattoo material into smaller bits. Those can be either released via loss of the epidermis and slow breakdown in the body by its own clean up cells, the macrophages. The way this is done is that the tattoo absorbs the heat from the laser causing to be broken down. This breakdown, which may leave a subtle scar, requires time to heal. When all is healed, a person can definitely get a tattoo on top of it with no problem.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist