I Have a Tattoo on the Nape of my Neck, I Just Started Botox Treatment for my Migraines. Ink Is Being Pulled Out, Is This Normal

I have a tattoo on the nape of my neck, I just started botox treatment for my migraines and the ink is starting to pull out. Is that normal for botox? I have had this tattoo for 6 years and I love it, but I get another round of Botox in 1 1/2 months and was wondering what was happening.

Botox and tattoos

+1

I am not aware of any mechanism that would explain why tattoo pigment in the dermis would diminish from botox injections. The affect botox has on muscle relaxation and minimizing sweat gland  production should not change your tattoo pigment.

Does Botox affect tattoos?

+1

As explained by the panel members - Botox use would not have the ability to effect changes on tattoo ink.

If you are confident that your tattoo is fading quicker than what is considered normal, you may want to consider other factors that be attributed to this and discuss with your tattoo artist.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox should not alter tattoos.

+1

Tattoos are created when a pigment is introduced into the dermis of the skin. The pigment particles get encompassed with some scar tissues and become stable. The particles are too large for our macrophage cells in our skin to clear them away. Tattoo removal lasers smash these particles into much smaller particles and then they are small enough for our macrophage cells to clear them away. Botox should not have any effect on your tattoo whatsoever.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Migraine removing Tattoo Ink?

+1

Botox treatment of migraines or wrinkles has not been reported to have any effect on deposition or removal/ fading of tattoo ink.

Given the length of time you have had the tattoo, it is quite likely that you are experiencing the normal gradual fading of the ink. To maintain the tattoo, you may need to visit your local artist to freshen it up

Anifat Balogun, MD