How Old Do You Have to Be to Get a Tattoo Removed? Is There an Age Requirement?

I'm 15 years old and I have a small tattoo on my right hip.. I got it when I was very drunk and don't remember it and just recently told my parents and they want me to get it removed and pay for it with my money. Is there an age requirement? Is it even worth it? Help please!!

Tattoo Removal

+1

I do not think that there is any age for tattoo removal but since you are under 18 years old, one of your parents needs to go with you to the doctor and to the treatments to sign the consent forms.

Tattoo removal does involve multiple treatments and sometimes, the tattoo never completely goes away.

Good Luck!

No age limitation to remove a tattoo with laser

+1

Medically it is safe to remove the tattoo with a laser at your age but you will probably need parental consent.  It can be much more expensive to remove than to apply a tattoo.  You may find a sympathetic doctor who will reduce the fee but it will take several treatments to lighten the tattoo.  Complete removal may not be possible but fading it significantly is a strong possibility. You should see a doctor with your parent(s) to hear all that is involved.

Ronald Shelton, MD

How young is too young for laser tattoo removal?

+1

In our practice, we accept patients as young as fourteen.  Your parents are required to provide a written consent for this medical procedure.  Despite legal concerns regarding treating a minor, the equally important concern is the pain associated with these treatments.  A younger person may have a very difficult time with the pain of treatments and may benefit from being older and more prepared to undergo numerous, uncomfortable treatments. 

It should be noted that the process of removing a tattoo is far more uncomfortable than the process of getting one. 

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

There is no lower age limit on tattoo removal

+1

There is no lower age limit on tattoo removal.  Some states may require parental consent for teenagers under 18.  Be sure you check the experience of the health care licensed professional, plus what laser they use.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologist

+1

No age limit, but your parents will have to sign a consent for you.  You'll need several sessions, and it is worth it if you want the tattoo gone. 

Ramtin Kassir, MD

Ramtin Kassir, MD
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

There is no lower or upper age limit on tattoo removal

+1

There is no lower or upper age limit on tattoo removal.

As long as the patient is able to understand and consent to the procedure, it can be done.

There is no technical problem.

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon

No Age Requirement for Laser Tattoo Removal

+1

Laser tattoo removal works by breaking up the ink pigment in your skin. The smaller particles are then carried away from the surface by lymphatic and blood vessels. So the maturity level of your skin should not be a factor. 

It looks like your tattoo might be a simple case since it is black. And the location should be easier to remove than your extremities (arms, hands, legs, ankles and wrists). When choosing a doctor, it is really important that you find someone who is board certified who has the skills and expertise in laser tattoo removal.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon