Tattoo Removal by Excision

I'm looking to get a tattoo removed. Its decently large. Its goes up about 10 inches wrist to a little over my elbow. The width is not very big. At some points its about 2 1/2 in width and others about 1 1/2. I'm not looking to try laser because i could put a lot of money into the tattoo removal and it wouldn't be a guaranteed removal. Any advice? Also can anyone give me a price range. Thanks!!

Excising a tattoo

+3

In order to excise the tattoo you need enough skin laxity to close the wound.  Generally the forearm doesn't have enough extra skin to close a tatoo excision like yours in one setting.  You might need a staged excision and you will have a big long scar from doing it.

Tattoo removal laser vs excision

+2
Excision is sometimes a reasonable option compared to laser. Excision always replaces the tattoo with a surgical scar, however. In some cases this may be acceptable if it avoids the multiple treatments needed with a laser. In larger tattoos it may not be possible to remove it all in one sitting without needing a skin graft which can definitely be unsightly. Serial excision, in which portions of the tattoo are removed with several weeks between excisions sometimes allows complete removal whole avoiding a skin graft. How feasible this is depends on the skin laxity in the area which differs by anatomic location and patient to patient.
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser tattoo removal

+1

you may not be interested in laser tattoo removal but nothing works as well. Unfortunately laser tattoo removal does require multiple monthly treatments and the expense, which usually is a few hundred dollars (more or less) per visit, adds up. One time procedures that are invasive will cause more scarring possibly.