New Tattoo or Older Tattoo - Which Can Be Lazered Easier??

I searched around and get a bunch of different answers, Which tattoo will be lasered more successfully - a newer tattoo a month old or a tattoo that's years old? I am asking because my tattoo is about a month old and a i deeply regret it. (its all black, mostly shading) will I get effective results?

Laser removal for Tattoo

+1
Older tattoos typically require fewer treatments for clearance compared to newer tattoos. This can be the result of the ink quality as well as the presence of an already present immune response in the area of the tattoo for older tattoos which facilitates clearance of the ink particles following treatment.  The Picosure is a single wavelength laser, Alexandrite 755nm, and provides a shorter pulse duration but less overall energy than other systems and due to the single wavelength is not optimal for treating tattoos with certain ink colors (primarily reds).  Systems such as the Astanza Trinity laser provide three wavelengths (1064nm, 532nm, 694nm) with adequate energy to treat tattoos of all colors.
Best of luck with your tattoo removal.
Kind Regards,
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Faster tattoo removal

+1

With the q-switched lasers and the PicoSure laser, older tattoos almost  always respond more quickly to treatment. Many people seek removal of freshly  placed tattoos and in these circumstances, the PicoSure is the best option. It is always best to wait until the skin is healed from the tattoo placement before beginning treatment.

Tattoo laser removal

+1

Some of the fastest to clear tattoos that I have treated are the new home-made tattoos that are usually more superficially placed than professional tattoos. Older tattoos at times can be more stubborn but there are exceptions.

Tattoo removal: old or new

+1

It depends on the pigment density more than anything as well as the color. Older tattoos tend to have a lower density and sometimes take less total sessions.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.