Tattoo Under Breast, Will Breast Augmentation Distort It?

I have a poem on my right rib which comes across my torso just under my breast. When standing upright there is approx a 2cm gap from the top of my tattoo to my breast fold. Will a breast augmentation effect my tattoo? I am a B cup wanting to go to a full C cup. I would love to hear a surgeons point of view and also anyone who has a or has been through a similar situation! Thanks!

Will Breast Implant Distort my Tattoo?

As long as the breast crease is not altered during surgery and the implant used is not too large, your tattoo is unlikely to be affected. If the breast crease is altered, the implant may move down resulting in the upper part of the tattoo being on the lower part of the breast. However, if a large implant is used and the skin is loose, the augmented breast may cover up the part of the tattoo.

2333 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60618

Tattoo and implants

If the tattoo is significantly below your fold and your fold is not an issue for implantation, then it should be ok. 

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Tattoo under breast: Will augmentation distort it?

The photograph that you included with your question shows that your tattoo is entirely below your breast.  If this is indeed the case, there should be little to no distortion with a breast augmentation.  If you have constriction of the lower pole of your breast, attempts at lowering your fold may have some effect.   Talk with your plastic surgeon in detail to get the best answer.  Good luck.

Eric T. Emerson, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

649 North New Hope Road
Gastonia, NC 28054

Tattoo under breast

If your tattoo is under the breast, surgery will not alter it but if it is on the breast itself, then the contours will be distorted by the implant.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

Tattoo under breast

Your photograph is limited and I cannot see everything present so I highly suggest discussing this preoperatively with your surgeon however in general terms what I would tell you is that if a tattoo is on the breast itself, it will be stretched "and/or distorted" by the implant.  If the tattoo is below the level of the crease and the surgeon does not lower the crease (discuss this!) then the tattoo should not be changed.

Good luck!

-Evan Sorokin

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

1734 Marlton Pike East
Cherry Hill, NJ 08003

Tattoo Under Breast

Thank you for the question and picture.

I would be able to  give you better advice if I were to see the entire breast and its relationship to the tattoo. From what I can see however I doubt that the tattoo will be affected by the breast augmentation procedure.

In regards to achieving your desired cup size it will be important to  communicate clearly with your plastic surgeon.

In my practice I find the use of goal pictures to be very helpful.    I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" or "top heavy" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”. 

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Tattoo and breast augmentation

As long as the crease at the bottom of your breast is not altered, breast augmentation should not  affect your poem tattoo.

Be specific with your plastic surgeon about not disturbing the tattoo, so that he/she can take the necessary precautions.

Best of luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

2103 Crestmoor Road
Nashville, TN 37215

Tattoo near breast

From the photo you provided, it does not appear that a breast augmentation would affect your tattoo.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

1725 Village Center Circle
Las Vegas, NV 89134

Distortion of tattoo

There may be a slight distortion of the tattoo because the implant may stretch the skin slightly even though the tattoo in below the breast as opposed to on the breast itself.  But I would expect the distortion to be only of a minor degree if at all.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

9339 Genesse Avenue
San Diego, CA 92121-2119

Tattoo around breast implant

Your chest tattoo should not be affected by the implant.  Make sure the implant fold is not disrupted or detached and the implant will sit right at the height of the fold.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

676 South Bluff Street
St. George, UT 84770