Is it Safe T Get A New Tattoo A Few Days Before A Tummy Tuck?

Is it safe to get a new tattoo a few days before having plastic surgery (tummy tuck)? If not, how long after the surgery should I wait to have the tattoo done? Thanks!

Better to wait

+1
You should probably wait until after you have had your tummy tuck just in case. Better safe than sorry! 

What is the rush?

+1

Plan the tattoo after the surgical procedure. Why risk having a problem and canceling the surgery. Wait a week or two.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Tattoo And Tummy Tuck?

+1

If you develop a complication (for example infection) after you have your tattoo placed,  your tummy tuck operation may need to be postponed.  Also, depending on the location of the tattoo,  it may be problematic for you (for example if it is on your back you will be lying on it during your postoperative period).

Probably best for you to undergo the tummy tuck operation first  and wait on having the tattoo ( a few months),  longer if you plan to tattoo over the surgical site.

Tattoo before tummy tuck.

+1

It is probably not an issue to get a tattoo before surgery, but why risk it? Both procedures are elective and the tummy tuck will be the larger of the two. I would wait a couple months after the surgery before getting the tattoo, but discuss with your surgeon for his/her preference.

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon