8 days post op of open Rhinoplasty, is taping the nose for 3 weeks necessary?

I had open rhinoplasty 8 days ago. Only my tip was worked on and cartilage from my ear was implanted to make my tip higher. The doctor told me I must tape my nose for 3 weeks and "part of the result depends on me doing so". I have therefore been religiously keeping my nose taped. Unfortunately my skin is now becoming irritated. I want to know how taping my nose can affect the result? The tape is just stuck on top of the skin?!

+1
    I think it is always reasonable to ask your surgeon about these specific instructions.

Taping of nose

+1
You should follow your surgeon recommendations since he/she know what was encountered during surgery.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

+1
Taping does help to decrease swelling.  I have recently begun to fashion a silicone nasal splint which I have the patients wear over the dorsum of the nose which I have found is less irritating and easier for the patients   Best to you

Constance M. Barone, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

+1
In many cases, taping is recommended to reduce and control swelling.  Usually the surgeon will tape the nose, if needed, and examine it on follow up visits.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Taping the nose after rhinoplasty

+1
Following rhinoplasty, the nose has a tendency to swell and this is greatest in the first 10-14 days. Taping of the nose can help decrease the degree to which the nasal tissues swelling initially due to the pressure that is exerted by the tape on the skin. In some instances, especially thick skin, taping may be continued longer as thicker skin has a greater tendency to swell. In your specific case, the addition of cartilage to the tip may also be a reason that you have been asked to use tape. It is best for you to discuss your concerns with your surgeon and follow their recommendations to get the best possible result.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Taping after rhinoplasty

+1
Taping after rhinoplasty is thought by some surgeons to help by splinting the nose while it heals.  Taping for three weeks seems excessive to me.  I typically do not tape longer than 7 days and do not feel that a longer duration of taping would improve the final result.  However, There is no right answer in this case, as every surgeon does what they think will give their patients the best possible result.  If your doctor advises you to tape for 3 weeks, you should follow his recommendation.

Sean R. Weiss, MD
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon