Taping to Reduce the Swelling?

My PS haven't even broken my nose and the area between my eyebrows is crazy swollen. I mean I know that I am only 2 weeks post op but I was wondering if taping my nose would help reduce the swelling? Thank you

Swelling after rhinopasty

+2

Dear zerryb,

There are some things you can try to reduce the swelling faster such as:

1. Staying out of the sun
  2. Sleeping with your head elevated
  3. Avoiding salty foods

Just be a little patient, the swelling will come down

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Taping nose after rhinoplasty

+2

in cases where the nose appears very swollen or starts to swell following removing the splint at one week i will tape the nose to reduce swelling.  i think this is helpful but not curative.  time is the most definitive treatment.  prevention is also very helpful.  i put patients on a special diet (reduced wheat/dairy and sodium), i generally use a limited course of oral steroids, limit exercise for 2 weeks, and avoid bending over.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

Thank you for the question.  Swelling after a rhinoplasty can be alarming at times.  Did your plastic surgeon use a splint after surgery?  This tends to keep the swelling down initially.  If your plastic surgeon does not think this is free fluid then the swelling will go away on its own.  Keeping your head elevated and keeping your blood pressure low will be the most important thing.  Taping might help but care must be taken not to irritate the skin.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Postoperative swelling of dorsum

+1
At 2 weeks postop, there is still a lot of swelling present. Although your surgeon may not have performed osteotomies (controlled breaking of the bone) during your surgery, you may still experience swelling in the radix (transition point between the forehead and the nose) and the high bridge due to elevation of the soft tissues to allow manipulation of the dorsum (bridge) during surgery. It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix may require longer to settle. In the early stages after surgery, taping of the nose can help to encourage swelling to resolve and you should discuss this with your surgeon and also how to apply the tape.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Taping of the nose after a rhinoplasty

+1

Taping of the nose definitely helps in the short term to reduce swelling and allow controlled redrapping of the skin of the nose.  

Swelling between eyebrows after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling between your eyebrows after rhinoplasty occurs unpredictably but is not necessarily a sign of anything going wrong.  If you have a lot of swelling but no pain, then keeping your head elevated and gently massaging the area can help.  You probably would not want to increase your physical activity by going to the gym yet if you have a lot of swelling. However, if the swollen area feels "squishy", is red, or hurts, definitely see your surgeon to be sure that you are not experiencing an early infection or other complication. Good luck!

Minas Constantinides, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling occurs when tissues are distrubed and this can be quite impressive.  Usually there is an element of brusing that may accompany the swelling.  Cold compresses, head elevation and taping will certainly help.  Not "thinning" the blood by staying away from motrin, alleve, aspirin or other anti-inflammatories (including vitamin E, fish oils etc) will certainly help.  If there is a great deal of brusing then perhaps the blood was relatively "thin" or you may have developed a blood collection beneath the skin referred to as a hematoma.  If the swelling is extraordinary or tremendous brusing and you are concerned then I would re-visit the practitioner and let them examine the situation.

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taping to Reduce the Swelling?

+1

Dear Zerryb,

Thank you for your post. The splint that your surgeon uses does not reach all the way between the eyebrows.  This is the glabellum area.  This will take some time to go down.  Keep your head elevated and avoid vigorous activities, and ice it.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Taping to Reduce Swelling

+1

You are very early in the healing phase.  When you are relaxing at home, try applying ice compresses to the area.  Swelling at this stage is not unusual.  Taping can cause skin reactions, so only do this at the recommendation of your Plastic Surgeon.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD