Will Taping my Nose Help Reduce Swelling Past Two Weeks if I'm Lifting Weights, Drinking Alcohol, or Having Lots of Sodium??

My doctor told me I only need to tape my nose for two weeks after getting the splint off. Should I do it for a longer period of time (another week, month, etc) if heavy weight lifting, a small amount of alcohol consumption, or occasionally high sodium intake is causing additional swelling of my nose? I want to do whatever I can to reduce swelling that could influence the end result.

Looking to reduce swelling after Rhinoplasty

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and all the things you mentioned, IMHO, should be avoided for at least 1 month after a Rhinoplasty.  Strenuous activity, alcohol consumption and heat/sun exposure will all increase the blood supply and therefore the swelling to the nose.  Tape, IMO, has no inherent spring and should not be used to counter the ill effects of doing these things prematurely.  However, at the end of the day you must follow the post op instructions of your Rhinoplasty surgeon and not ours.

Taping your nose

+2

I don't think prolonged taping will help you and certainly don't think you should look at it as a means of counteracting other activities that you know are causing swelling. Try and limit those for the first six weeks and that will give you the best chance to iimprove and speed your recovery.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taping the nose post-op

+1

Taping the nose post-op has some advantages but the best way to avoid swelling is to stop the activities that cause swelling

Sam Naficy, MD

Taping Nose 2 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty

+1

First of all, follow your surgeons instructions. I tell my patients to resume strenuous physical activity, such as exercise, 3 weeks after rhinoplasty. However, listen to your body; if there is any increase in nasal swelling modify your schedule. Mild alcohol  consumption and restriced sodium intake are not a problem.

Taping after rhinoplasty

+1
In my practice I do not have my patients tape their nose for post operative swelling. I have been performing rhinoplasty surgeries for thirty years and I remove the tape and splint seven days into the post operative phase and my patients are fine. A low sodium diet, reduction of strenuous activity and excessive heat and sun exposure will help reduce the problems of post operative swelling. With this said you have chosen a surgeon you were hopefully comfortable with and you seem to be happy with your result, so ultimately you should follow the post operative instructions of your surgeon as he/she has your best interest in mind and understands your case as each patient is handled individually depending on aspects of surgery, lifestyle etc...best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Taping nose after rhinoplasty

+1

In my practice the tape and splint come off after one week. I do not have patients retape the nose, and I have them avoid exertional acitivity for about a month or so. 

Taping for longer than 2 weeks for rhinoplasty swelling?

+1

looking for answers 2, kind of ironic. Are you  asking if by taping your nose you can do all those things your surgeon asked you not to do? regrettably, no. not the answer you were looking for I bet. sorry. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

+1

I remove the tapes and splint a week after surgery and no taping is recommended. The swelling will resolve with time. Occasionally, oral steriod for 10 days will help for major swelling.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling after rhinoplasty is normal and can last for months before it goes down. Avoiding head down positions, straining,strenuous work-outs will help. Prolonged taping probably won't help or be advisable because of it's effect on the skin.

William H. Gorman, MD

Taping the nose to reduve swelling

+1

Some surgeons routinlely tape after cast removal. The tape is usually removed one week later. I doubt that retaping your nose will have much influenceat this point.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD