Post Rhinoplasty: Taping tips? Other recommendations for speedy recovery?

I really want to be careful in healing after a revision.My swelling is heavy and I want to do the most I can.So I have been taking arnica/pineapple extract,limiting sodium to 1200mg,no blood thinning foods or vit E,but now with taping.Can someone give me specific step details on how to do this; can I do any harm to the outcome if i do this wrong.2 weeks postOP,I want to do every small detail I can to help heal right,and help swelling go down;if you could come up with a perfect regime,PLz Share

How To Properly Tape After Rhinoplasty

+1

Not all rhinoplasty patients benefit from taping.  In addition, the type of taping, location, etc is dependent on the location of swelling and type of rhinoplasty.  Most of the benefits of taping are anecdotal, however patient feedback usually demonstrates a cause and effect benefit in many cases.

Taping after rhinoplasty is sometimes used in rhinoplasty for the following reasons:

• postoperative swelling
  • skin memory- tape allows the skin to conform to the new shape of the nose
  • post kenalog injection- the combination allows for the kenalog to push out edema better

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taping the Nose Following Rhinoplasty

+1

There may not be much in the way of scientific evidence showing the benefits of taping the nose following rhinoplasty. However, I can say that in my practice I certainly recommend taping in many patients. You should review this recommendation in detail with your rhinoplasty surgeon before doing so. I have attached a link below that discusses taping of the nose following rhinoplasty. I hope you find it helpful. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taping of the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

I usually do not leave the nasal tape on more than a week . It usually comes off when I remove the splint.  I know of no studies that suggest leaving it on longer improves the healing.

Taping after rhinoplasty

+1

I am not aware of any scientific evidence showing that taping the nose post rhinoplasty helps with healing, or with swelling. I prefer my patients not to tape post op, especially if I have placed grafts.

I believe that this practice of taping is an old dogma without any proven benefits. 

Best of luck

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon