Would Not Taping Nose Cause This Permanently? Will It Go Down or Would I Need a Revision Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had Rhino about 5 months ago and I didn't tape my nose much from what I was told its used to reduce swelling faster. My nose has a scooped out look to it (pic provided). If I tape if it gets completely straight and if I touch it its soft and feels swollen. Is it likely that I would get a complete straight profile after a year? or more likely it will stay the same? Could have this been prevented if I taped my nose? Should I start taping my nose every night? would taping change permanent results

Would Not Taping Nose Cause This Permanently? Will It Go Down or Would I Need a Revision Rhinoplasty?

+1

Sounds like you have excess scar tissue in the supratip region after your Rhinoplasty.  There is a time limitation, typically within 6 months, that this can be decreased and prevented.  At 5 months post-op your window of opportunity is rapidly closing.  You might want to see your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for an evaluation and recommendation of how to best decrease this supra-tip fullness whether it's nasal massage or kenalog injections.  

Tape applied to the nose by itself does nothing.  It's the pressure used when placing the tape that pushes the swelling out of the nasal tissues.  The same thing can be done with daily manual lymphatic drainage techniques which we teach to all of our Rhinoplasty patients.

Tape Applicaation ater Rhinoplasty

+1

I do not place tape on the nose beyond the first week after rhinoplasty. I don't think the application of tape right now or the previous use of tape will or would have made any difference in your result. Wait another 6 months to judge your result and then consider a revision if you're not satisfied.

Prolonged taping is not used by most surgeons after rhinoplasty

+1

There is no large study that shows whether or not taping the nose for a prolonged period after rhinoplasty produces either a short term or long term difference. Most surgeons don't use it long term because the skin often becomes irritated.

If your skin feels soft, perhaps loose, at 5 months after rhinoplasty, there is a strong likelihood that further contraction, or shrinking, of the skin will still occur. The end result for most rhinoplasties is about 18 months after the procedure. In fact many men have thicker skin that will take longer to fully contract.

Your nose does have some fullness above the tip that may represent the so-called pollybeak deformity, but this may represent swelling and skin looseness that can improve with time.

Although it is possible that you will ultimately need a revision (about 15% of all primary rhinoplasty surgeries do in large studies), you should be patient. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see if further observation is appropriate. Good luck.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Polly Beak Deformity

+1

Unfortunately, you have a polly beak deformity named for the resemblance to a parrot's beak on side view.  There are a number of causes for this.  Occasionally this can be improved with the injection of steroid but almost always requires revision surgery.  I would recommend starting with your original surgeon and if you do not get a satisfactory response, seek out a revision rhinoplasty specialist.  Taping the nose will have no benefit. 

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak Deformity

+1

Hi,

It looks like you have a soft tissue pollybeak deformity and a ptotic tip. Tapping will not resolve this nor would it have prevented it. To repair this you will need a revision rhinoplasty.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty Taping

+1

Although I do feel that use of tape and a splint are important for the 1st week postop, I do not feel that further taping is essential.  Swelling, particularly in the nasal tip, takes at least a year to subside whether the nose is taped or not.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

To tape or not to tape after rhinoplasty

+1

We don't use any taping after the first week and lack taping is probably not a source of your problem. The tape might not have prevented anything, and your photo may indicate the need for better tip support.

Post rhinoplasty taping

+1

I do not think taping your nose makes any difference.  The early dressings placed by the plastic surgeon in the first week following surgery are the only dressings I use.  There are other activity restrictions in order to avoid trauma to the nose during the healing period which can last up to 3 months.  Swelling can persist up to a year or more.  However, I'm not sure your problem will necessarily go away.  You shouldn't have to tape the nose down in order for the dorsal hump to flatten.  Either way, I would wait a good year before addressing this problem again.

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Taping after Rhinoolasty

+1
I personally do not have my patients tape their noses and I do not believe it will make any difference in your overall result. Rhinoplasty takes time for the swelling to completely dissipate. In the beginning of the postoperative healing process the majority of the swelling approximately 70% is gone in the first 3 to 5 months and the final 30% takes up to an entire year to fully dissipate. From your photographs it is hard to determine what portion is swelling. Give it time to heal and see your surgeon regularly he/she will be able to help put your mind at ease. Time not tape is on your side!!

Michael Elam, MD