Will Taping my Nose Help Raise the Tip Post-rhinoplasty? (photo)

Hi, I had revision rhinoplasty 10 days ago, and while I realize that I still have some swelling, I'm worried about the height of my tip. I have read a bit online about taping your nose post-rhinoplasty to help "shape it", so I am wondering if doing this would help me accomplish my goal. I'm thinking of taping the tip up for ~12 hours a day (8 spent sleeping). Will this help? I have also attached a photo; the 'before' being my nose today, and the 'after' what I would like it to look like. Thanks.

Taping The Tip Of The Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Gwendolyn,

Thank you for sharing your photos.

Usually, taping the tip of the patient's nose after surgery may help achieving the projected results and reduce the swelling.

Nonetheless, I taping will not achieve considerable changes. You can think of that method of adjustment as being a touch up.

In your case, I recommend that you run your desire by your PS who will be able to give your the best advise based on the fact that he/she knows the full details of your procedure.

That said, if your goal is based on considerable modifications I believe that a second surgery may be needed to address the projection of your nose.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Taping the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

During the first 4-6 weeks after rhinoplasty taping the nose, or even massaging and pressing at certain points, can help getting the result that was planned and done during surgery. Major structural changes cannot be achieved though. However, it is best done under the guidance of your PS.

Andrew Pichler, MD
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taping nose post Rhinoplasty

+1

Taping the tip of the nose after a rhinoplasty can aid in reducing tip swelling and can help shape the nose.  However, you should check with your surgeon before doing the taping to avoid possible complications.  Be sure to follow your surgeon's instructions on whether you should tape the nasal tip or not and how it should be done in your particular case.  Best of luck.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Will Taping my Nose Help Raise the Tip Post-rhinoplasty?

+1

Taping the nose can do good or harm depending on exactly how it is done and with how much pressure the tape is applied.  You should discuss this with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon. 

Taping the nose after revision rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Gwendolyn, taping the nose can be a useful exercise after rhinoplasty or revision rhinoplasty for the right individuals. I do this fairly often with my nasal surgery patients. However, you should absolutely discuss this with your surgeon before you start the process. He or she can better advise you about whether or not taping would be useful and how, where, and when to apply it.

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tping the nose reduces swelling

+1

Yes, it is a good idea to tape the nose as long as it does not irritate your skin. The area of concern usually is the supratip (just above the tip). Sometimes that area can build up scar tissue over few weeks requiring injections of Kenalog ( a steroid).

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer:

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taping After Rhinplasty

+1

Hi,

Taping after rhinoplasty may help remove swelling from the tip. However, I think time is your best medicine to see results. Give yourself at least 6 months.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Taping after rhinoplasty

+1

You should really discuss this with your surgeon. While taping is possibly a useful thing in certain circumstances, only your surgeon knows for sure what was done and whether or not taping might be useful. You certainly don't want to create any problems.

Ronald Schuster, MD