Surgeon Does Not Suggest Taping Radix Incase it Caused Shifting When Tape was Removed, Is this True?

A few days ago I had a rhinoseptoplasty. My doctor informed me that because my radix is quite high it would be harder to get good profile results as the skin often scars and does not want to form to the new more concave bone shape. When I asked about taping as I heard that it could potentially make the skin adjust to the new nose structure he said that he prefered not to because he beleived that taping could cause movement of the structure of the nose when it was removed. Is this common opinion?

+1

You need to follow the postop instructions of your Rhinoplasty Surgeon in the immediate post Rhinoplasty phase and what we believe is irrelevant at this point IMHO.

Healing after Nasal Radix Reduction

+1

Some surgeons use tape after nasal cast removal, but  this will vary from surgeon to surgeon and case to case. I would be more likely to use the tape after radix reduction because there is always more swelling after this procedure. Swelling will always take longer to resolve in this area of the nose - the radix will continue to improve for a year after surgery.

Tape on nose

+1

I usually tape noses for the first week along with a nasal splint.  I do not ususally tape them after that time.

Taping after rhinoplasty

+1

I would say whilst there is no right and wrong, that it is not a common opinion.  Most surgeons would subscribe to the view that compression will both reduce swelling and aid in conformation of the skin envelope to the new bony structure . However, best way forward is to talk with your surgeon again and explain your concerns.

Good luck.

Howard Webster, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Tape or No Tape after Nose Surgery

+1

This really depends on your surgeon's preference and experience. It is possible to have the tape pull the skin when it is removed and perhaps disrupt the underlying work. However, after about 7 to 10 days the tape comes off (or falls off) very easily.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon