Does Taping Cause Bone Growth?

I had an open rhinoplasty 6 months ago and have been taping my nose every night to reduce swelling and prevent bone growth. However, my nose is starting to look the same as it did before the surgery. Is it possible that the tape is causing bone and cartilage growth?

Taping after Rhinoplasty and Bony and Cartilaginous Growth

+1

Taping after rhinoplasty should not cause bony and cartilaginous growth.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Taping After Rhinoplasty

+1

Taping does not affect the of the nose after rhinoplasty.  Taping is used to help stabilize swelling if the skin which overlies the bones and cartilages of the nose.  I use taping sparingly after rhinoplasty.  I feel that it is indicated in certain, special circumstances.  After the cast and tape is removed one week following surgery, only under certain circumstances do I feel further benefit is derived from the reapplication of tape.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tape and nasal bone growth

+1

Taping the nose will not cause it to grow.  In fact, it probably will not help resolve the swelling any quicker.

Taping After Rhinoplasty Does Not Cause Bone Growth

+1

Taping of the nose is not going to cause bone or cartilage growth. Scar may form underneath the skin whether you did or did not tape, taping may cause less which is the reason you are doing it. You are well past the time period when taping is of any value.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Osteogenesis after rhinoplasty

+1

While it is possible you have new bone growth causing the return of your pre-operative appearance, taping is unlikely to have had any effect on this. 

Donald B. Yoo, MD