Why Have I Not Been Taped After Rhinoplasty?

When I got my splint off the doctor or nurse did not tape me or instruct me to use tape. All of my friends that have rhinoplasty were instructed to tape.I did not think to ask my doctor because I was in too much shock over the results when i got my splint off. When I realized they did not tape me i was already back in Florida from California (where i got my surgery) and my doctor is very hard to get a hold of. Will not taping my nose affect the results? I feel like they just forgot about me.

Taping postoperatively after rhinoplasty

+1

The decision to tape the nose after splint removal is both physician based and patient based.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon to ease your concerns.  Taping is useful for residual swelling but is not always needed. 

+1

You may have not needed it. After the splint came off you may have had minimal swelling. Some surgeons do not tape and still get good results. Some do, and get the same results. I wouldn't worry about it because it is unlikely to change your long-term result.

Anand D. Patel, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taping nose after rhinoplasty

+1

I would not be too concerned that you weren't taped after your splint came off. Some surgeons will tape the nose, and others will not. Those who do it will tell you that it helps to facilitate edema (swelling) resolution; those who don't it will tell you that it can cause allergic reactions, and doesn't make much of a difference anyway. Just like the majority of other issues in rhinoplasty, there is a debate. Welcome to the world of rhinoplasty! Personally, I will tape some patients, and not tape others. For me, it depends on the patient. And you should be aware, even if a patient is taped after the splint removal, there is still a prolonged healing period after rhinoplasty, which usually requires some patience.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taping Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Many surgeons do not tape the nose after splint removal post rhinoplasty. Do not be concerned. Call your surgeon  - nobody is that diffiult to contact. Your nose looks great.

Is is standard to re-tape the nose after the rhinoplasty cast comes off?

+1

I don't think it's necessarily standard for surgeons to re-tape the nose after removing the initial cast. I find that it's most often done if there is a lot of tissue swelling and the surgeon wishes to try to keep the swelling down. It's also useful if a relatively large change in nasal size (i.e., make the nose quite a bit smaller) was done. The re-taping may help with redraping the excess skin. 

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinoplasty - no tape

+1

Most plastic surgeons will tape and cast the nose for the 1st week after surgery.  However, it is not always necessary to tape the nose after the cast comes off so if your plastic surgeon did not feel that this was necessary I wouldn't worry.  I would recommend calling your surgeon to ask your question.  I'm sure they will be happy to explain to you why you weren't taped and answer any other questions you may have.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Taping after rhinoplasty

+1

Many plastic surgeons, myself included, will use tape after the splint comes off.  It depends on how much swelling there is, and how much work was done.  Everyone has their own preferences, but I am sure your plastic surgeon would have your best interests.  I know there is a 3 hour time difference, so call first thing California time and ask for a phone call back.  Do this on a day when your surgeon is not in surgery. Most of us have specific days for surgery and other days for seeing patients.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Taping after rhinoplasty not necessary

+1

The theory behind taping is to provide pressure to help healing of the skin back down to the underlying structures of the nose.  Many rhinoplasty surgeons do not use any tape at all after removal of the splint after 5-7 days.

Problems such as skin irritation, allergic reactions, and acne breakouts can be caused by taping after rhinoplasty.

Jason Lichtenberger, MD
Bellingham Facial Plastic Surgeon

Taping the nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Taping the nose a week after rhinoplasty probably provides little to no benefit.  Initially taping and a splint are placed to allow the bone to heal and stay in position.  Long term use of tape on the nose may even cause skin reactions as well and there is nothing in the literature to support its long term use.