Will Tape over Rhinoplasty Splint Affect my Results? (photo)

Hello, I just had a Open Rhinoplasty 4 days ago and after I had the guaze packings removed from my nose the very next day. I went home after and applied tape over my splint. The reason was the tape starting to peel off and I was a nervous wreck and thought the splint would come off. 2 days later I call my surgeon and asked if it was okay to put tape over the Splint he said no, to come in and he'll re-tape it himself. My question is did me putting tape on their affect my results in any way?

Self-Taping splint after rhinoplasty

+2

Taping yourself was unlikely to hurt anything. However, if you had any bony work done the bones have not properly set and manipulating the cast could (but not likely) push them out of alignment. If you were my patient I would have answered the same way. It is easier for me to tape it properly and prevent any future complications.

Tape after Rhinoplasty

+2
It is very unlikely you caused any harm by placing tape over your nasal splint. As long as it wasnt too tight I see no harm in doing it, but definitely have your surgeon look at.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will tape over rhinoplasty splint affect results?

+1

Applying tape as you mentioned should not cause a problem. But i would recommend speaking with your surgeon and following his or her post-operative guidelines for the remainder of your healing. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

No problem with early discontinuation of splint after rhinoplasty.

+1

Most plastic surgeons use some sort of a splint after rhinoplasty. Whether or not it does any good at all is arguable. Nevertheless by the time it falls off of its own accord it probably serves no useful function. Which you have rigged up is just fine.

Will Tape over Rhinoplasty Splint Affect my Results?

+1

Best to address this issue directly with your surgeon. Always call the operating surgeon with ANY concerns before doing something, like re taping. 

Rhinoplasty healing

+1

Dear music001dj,

1. Applying tape over a cast will not affect the results
  2. It was good to visit him for a check up

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD