Can tape prevent tip to droop after rhinoplasty?

I just had a closed rhinoplasty 9 days ago. I had a hanging columella witch has been reduced and my tip was slightly lifted. I am very pleased with the result so far, thou I wish he would have taken a bit more away from the columella area. After reading online it seems my tip will droop during the healing period and I really would prefer it staying the way it is now. My question: will taping my nose under the columella area help my tip stay where it is and prevent the columella to go back down?

Taping

+1

First of all, taping really does not provide any long term result. As far as any drooping in the future, that really depends on the technique utilized, which can make a big difference in terms of the long term outcome. My increasingly favored technique for tip/columella work is the tongue-in-groove, which can be combined with the caudal septal extension graft.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Tape may be useful, but you should ask your surgeon as I think most surgeons believe the structure of the nose created during the rhinoplasty maintains itself.

Taping nasal tip

+1

Taping a nose after the splint comes off in my mind doesn't add anything. Best to ask your surgeon what he likes for post-op care.

Preventing a droopy Tip

+1

I generally do not have my patients tape more than one week after surgery, however you should consult with your surgeon as he knows you best. The healing process will continue for many months but the nose should stabilize within about three months. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon