Is Tape Cast Necessary After Juvederm Injected into the Nose?

The surgeon I am going to to get Juvederm injected to raise the nasal bridge tells me that it will need to be taped in place for a week so that it doesn't move or change shape. I've never heard this before, but I've also never had Juvederm injected in this area before. Is this normal procedure or is he being extra or unneccessarily cautious?

Non-Surgical Treatment of Nasal Deformities: Radiesse vs. Hyaluronic acid

+2

I have used both Radiesse and hyaluronic acid fillers (Juvéderm, Restylane) to correct nasal deformities and improve shape. If the goal is to augment the dorsum of the nose, then Radiesse, placed deep over the bone or cartilage works best; and a splint is not necessary. If the deformity involves the nasal tip, hyaluronic acid fillers can be carefully used to provide nice correction; and a splint is not necessary. In either case, the patients are asked not to massage or manipulate the treated area for several days after treatment.

Your doctor believes that Juvéderm maintains some degree of moldability after it is injected for dorsal augmentation of the nose. Whether that is true is open for debate, but when hyaluronic acid fillers are placed in loose areolar tissue planes they probably remain more moldable than when placed in other tissues (i.e. skin/dermis). That moldability is in large part due to the fact that the product is a gel, and remains as such after injection. Radiesse has a different composition and properties and does not maintain the same (longer term) moldable characteristics after injection. For that reason Radiesse can be used for dorsal augmentation without a splint.

Best wishes, Ken Dembny

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Injectable Rhinoplasty

+2

No, you do not need tape on your nose after injections for your nose.  Juvederm and Radiesse injections are great for shaping the nose and camouflaging minor imperfections.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Juvederm in nose

+2

Juvederm or fillers similar are absorbable and over time they will go away. I have used it for minor irregularities of the nose but do not like it augment the bridge for long term results. 

Tape not necessary for filler nose job

+2

I agree with the other doctors.  No tape is needed for a filler placed in the nose.  I use Juvederm, Radiesse and Restylane in the nose.

Lorrie Klein, MD
Laguna Niguel Dermatologic Surgeon

Tape cast

+2

I will add my opinion to that of the others. I never heard off a "tape cast" and too much pressure is the last thing that I would want and I would not use Juvederm. I would use Radiesse or if I was afraid of your not liking it might use Perlane. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Tape Cast after Juvederm

+2

No, I don't use tape casts after Juvederm and in my opinion, a hard tape job is a lot of pressure and pushing on the area, something I don't recommend after any filler in all actuality. You need to discuss with the injector why he wants to do this and see what he says, but it's not something I do in my practice.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Tape not necessary for non surgical nose job.

+2

Hi.

That's what this procedure is popularly called.  The other point I would make is that, although we use a lot of Juvederm for other things, for building up the bridge of the nose we think Radiesse injected deeply against the bone and cartilage gives the best results and lasts the longest.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

+2

Juvederm shouldn't move around after being injected, IMHO but you'll have to ask the MD that's doing the Juvederm Injection why he wants to use a cast and tape on the nose.  I'd think the act of placing a cast, on the nose, after the injections would be more likely to move the Juvederm than doing nothing IMO.

Nasal taping for nasal reshaping with Juvederm?

+1

It is totally surgeon preference, but in my practice I do not routinely tape the nose after injections.  I agree you do not want to manipulate the soft tissue over the nose at first and you may want to discuss specific post injection instructions with your physician.  I hope this helps, good luck

Michael A. Fallucco, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for nose

+1

I would pay close attention to what your surgeon is saying. everyone does things slightly differently and that has to do with the surgeon's level of comfort and the way they do certain procedures. if you have any concerns or reservations about his technique youre entitled to another opinion or even better to discuss with your doctor in person

Misbah Khan, MD