Tanning over Breast Lift Scars

My scars are very thin and not raised at all and i'm only 4 months post op. If i wait another 6 months and if my scars are 100% white then would it be okay to tan over them? And would that help to blend the scar better in with my skin or would it make the white scar more noticable against my tan skin because it would stay white?

Sun is Bad for Scars (skin too)

+2

Keep the sun away from scars is your best bet. Scars behave differently in different people and can become too dark permanently (hyperpigmentation or dyschromia) if exposed to the sun. Or as you mentioned it may stay white while your skin tans around it. Better to spray tan if you want to hide it. Definitely use a strong SPF (>30) sunscreen on it even though it is hidden by your bathing suit as some sun goes through the fabric.

Tanning over breast lift scars?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! After any surgical procedure, you should be careful with incisions as well as avoidance of direct UVA and UVB rays in order to lessen the chance for hyperpigmentation of the skin and scars, which can take several months to resolve, if it ever does. Sunblock is recommended regardless. The ability of the affected area to heal has been slowed and you should try to avoid additional swelling to the area. The area will likely be numb for several weeks to months and will be difficult to feel when sunburn is coming on.

Typical recommendations include wearing a hat and/or sunblock to the affected area for at least 6-12 weeks following the procedure. It takes up to one year for scars to fully mature. You should also avoid trauma to the area for several months to protect the refinements made during the procedure. Also, avoidance of pools/lakes/jacuzzis/etc for 4-6 weeks is usually recommended to allow adequate healing and protection from stagnant water, that could potentially harbor bacteria. Lifting/exercise restrictions are common for at least 7 weeks. Certainly discuss the postoperative instructions with your surgeon, as thoughts differ among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Tanning and scars

+1

In general, scars don't like the sun.  You can get darkening from sun exposure that could be permanent.  I would encourage you to protect your scars from the sun with sunscreen, even if clothing is worn over the area. Left alone, you scars will probably fade nicely over time.  

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon