Tanning over Breast Lift Scars

My scars are very thin and not raised at all and i'm only 4 months post op. If i wait another 6 months and if my scars are 100% white then would it be okay to tan over them? And would that help to blend the scar better in with my skin or would it make the white scar more noticable against my tan skin because it would stay white?

Sun is Bad for Scars (skin too)

+2

Keep the sun away from scars is your best bet. Scars behave differently in different people and can become too dark permanently (hyperpigmentation or dyschromia) if exposed to the sun. Or as you mentioned it may stay white while your skin tans around it. Better to spray tan if you want to hide it. Definitely use a strong SPF (>30) sunscreen on it even though it is hidden by your bathing suit as some sun goes through the fabric.

Tanning and scars

+1

In general, scars don't like the sun.  You can get darkening from sun exposure that could be permanent.  I would encourage you to protect your scars from the sun with sunscreen, even if clothing is worn over the area. Left alone, you scars will probably fade nicely over time.  

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon