Is It OK to Go to a Tanning Booth (Wearing a 50 SPF) in Between Fraxel Treatments?

I want to protect my face but still get a body-tan. Will a 50SPF sunblock provide enough protection to the face during 7-minute sun booth sessions?

Fraxel Treatments and Tanning Beds.

+3

The answer to your question is absolutely NO!!!  It is never ok to go a tanning bed.  The evidence is so strong that is causes skin cancer.  Also, if you are doing Fraxel treatments you are trying to improve your skins appearance so why on earth would you want to further destroy the collagen and elastin you are so desperately trying to restore.   If you like to look tan, do it the smart way, with a spray tan or a self tan and save your skin!!!

Annapolis Dermatologist

Don't use a tanning bed

+2

Regardless of how you think you're protecting your facial skin with 50 SPF sunscreen, there are still plenty of UV A and even B rays that come through the sunscreen and you might risk getting a burn or pigmentation on the Fraxel-treated skin.  Also, it is NOT a good idea to get tanned from a tanning bed on the body.  It significantly increases your risk of developing skin cancer and looking older as your skin will appear much older than it actually is.

No Tanning After Fraxel Laser

+2

No - you should not go to a tanning booth. If your doing fraxel treatments the tanning booth, and for that matter the sun are both out of the question.

Web reference: http://www.aventuraplasticsurgery.com

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it ok to use tanning beds between Fraxel treatments?

+2

Hi,

The purpose of a Fraxel Restore treatment is to erase fine wrinkles, get rid of sun spots, and stimulate new collagen production.  By going into a tanning booth even with SPF on your face, you are negating the positive results of your recent procedure.  Despite the SPF on your face, you are still getting some exposure to your new skin and you don't want to spend all the money on your Restores and have it be reversed by the tanning booth.  Not to forget that the World Health Organization deemed tanning beds a carcinogen.

Dr. Liu

Web reference: http://www.newportcoastdermatology.com

Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Tanning Beds: A Horrible Idea

+2

The short answer to your question is a resounding "No!" Tanning beds have adverse effects on the possiblity of your developing a skin cancer and accelerate the aging process of you skin. If you do that in the midst of undergoing Fraxel treatments, you'll likely develop post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown splotching) of your skin, which onbviously adversely affects your Fraxel outcome.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tanning is never worth it.

+2

I am sorry, but as a dermatologist I must advise you to avoid damaging your skin.  There is no safe tan.  Please consider a spray on tan or embrace your paleness.  Skin cancer and premature aging are not worth it.  As for protecting your face, an SPF of 50 will protect against UVB, tanning beds emit UVA.  You will be unprotected.  UVA screens are not rated so you cannot be sure if your sunscreen is effective.  Cover your face with a heavy towel (while you are at it, cover your neck and chest too, these are areas that show aging first).

I wish I could be more positive

Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Tanning after Fraxel

+2

Tanning is never good for the skin as it can prematurely age and wrinkle the skin and increase risk of skin cancer. If you are going to tan in a tanning bed, I would cover your face with a material that does not allow light to penetrate rather than rely on sunblock lotion.

Charlotte Dermatologist

Is it ok to use tanning salon and have laser treatments

+2

It is never okay to use tannning salons as they significantly increase your risk of skin cancer

A new analysis of over 20 studies concludes the risk of skin cancer jumps by 75 percent when people start using tanning beds before age 30.The research was published in the medical journal Lancet Oncology on by research experts of the World Health Organization

Use self tanners or spray tans if you feel you would like to have color on your skin. No tan is worth the risk of developing cancer

Fraxel and tanning

+1

You should never use a tanning booth, especially after a Fraxel laser treatment.  You should also avoid the sun.  You will reverse the beneficial effects of the Fraxel treatment and cause sun damage which may lead to skin cancer.  If you must have some color, use a self-tanning cream. 

Toronto Dermatologist