Tanning After Open Rhino?

So I had an open and closed Rhinoplasty on December 20. My doctor told me to tape my nose daily until Feb 20, and when I saw him Feb 20, he told me to tape my nose for another 3 " 3weeks " because I did not tape my nose right. The first 3 weeks daily, the second three weeks once every 2 days, and the third 3 weeks only at night. I am currently still in the first 3 weeks. Is it okay if I go tanning, but not sun tan, I mean bed tanning?

Tanning and Rhino

+1
Tanning is UV just like the sun.  You need the same protection as if in the sun.
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Tanning After Open Rhino?

+1

It's best that you follow the post Rhinoplasty instructions from your Rhinoplasty Surgeon.

Tanning after rhinoplasty

+1

I would recommend limiting exposure to direct sunlight following rhinoplasty for at least 6 months. If you absolutely need to be in the sun, you should use a high spf sunscreen, which is generally advised all of the time. A protective hat is an option as well. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Tanning after Open Rhinoplasty

+1

I would not recommend exposure of the area to bed tanning or sun tanning for a year or so.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Limiting excess sun exposure after open rhinoplasty

+1

In general, it's not a great idea to expose your incision from open rhinoplasty to excess sunlight.  It will tend to hyperpigment, meaning it will become darker than the surrounding skin, and thus may potentially be more visible.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD