Graft Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty 11/10 and to this day my tip is overprojected and pointy. Can the graft be reshaped and shortened? If so is that a revision rhinoplasty requiring general anesthesia or can it be done with local?

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear you are not satisfied with your result. You are still experiencing swelling at this point, and this can interfere with the appearance of your nose. What kind of a graft did you have initially? And what was your goal for the surgery? If you were trying to add projection, the grafts used for this can include:

1) Shield graft
2) Columellar strut
3)  Tip onlay graft

More knowledge on your procedure would be necessary to provide you with precise advice. Rather than reshaping the graft, your surgeon would likely place new grafts in the area. I would recommend waiting at least one year before having a revision that involves tip work. The procedure can be performed under local anesthesia, but it really depends on the patient's needs. I generally prefer using general anesthesia to ensure the patient is as comfortable as possible. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pointed nasal Tip

+1

An overprojected nasal tip can be addressed with surgery.  Depending on what type of cartilage graft was placed at your initial surgery this could be a minor procedure under local sedation or may require more extensive cartilage reshaping.  I would recommend checking with your surgeon as to what cartilage grafts were placed.

Jill Hessler, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty #nosejob

+1

It's too early. You really should not revise a Rhinoplasty for one year unless it is really something minor. Your nose will change so much over the next 6 months. My advice is to not get too excited and wait this out. It is the hardest things that cosmetic patients have to understand, and that is it takes time, as in months, for results to reveal themselves. Just be patient and sit back and wait. If after 8-12 months you still are not happy then you might need a revision. What type of anesthesia depends on how much needs to be done.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Nasal tip graft deformity

+1

This is clearly a very short time after your recent surgery.  You should wait until at least six to twelve months after the original surgery before you should make a decision about revisional surgery.  You may be happily surprised and find that the graft has softened and contoured better than when first placed  in your nasal tip.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Francis (Frank) William Rieger, MD

Possible revision of a rhinoplasty

+1

Since you are so early after surgery on your nose it is not possible to predict if you need or would benefit from a revision.  Give it more time for the tip to resolve, about 1 year.  At that time a revision could be considered.  

Over projecting tip

+1

Being that it is only two months since your surgery, your tip may nor project as much in a few months. Give it time.

Correcting an over projecting tip

+1

As far as correcting the tip alot depends uppon what was done.  For this you would need to speak to your surgeon.  If you had a cartilage graft placed removal of the graft may help but you may need more than just removal of the graft, you may need some cartilage repositioning as well.  Speak to your original surgeon and get a copy of your op report and pre-op photos.  Then if you decide to go on a seconmd opinion you will have the info you need to speak intelligently.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Revision of Tip Graft

+1

Your tip contour and projection can be improved with a revision procedure. Depending on what needs to be done the surgery can be done with a local anesthetic or light sedation. 

Graft Reshaped and Shortened

+1

Depending on the type of graft fashioned, this may be appropriate.  This may be done under local as well.  Good luck.